Forum: GNU Radio Any tutorials (documentation) about gr-radar-mono

8609964d75de56552443da57880d4424?d=identicon&s=25 Bruhtesfa Ebrahim (Guest)
Hey all,

Is there any tutorial (documentation) that explains in detail
gr_radar_mono
and other gnu radio packages?
I look on GNU radio 3.0svn documentation but it has no details. is there
any
other that has more details?

thanks!
Bruhtesfa
On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 16:39 +0100, Bruhtesfa Ebrahim wrote:

> Is there any tutorial (documentation) that explains in detail
> gr_radar_mono and other gnu radio packages?
> I look on GNU radio 3.0svn documentation but it has no details. is
> there any other that has more details?

There is a README inside the directory that explains the command-line
parameters.

But I'll warn you ahead of time that, based on a prior email where you
said you were looking at targets 10 meters away, that this software
won't work for you.

Without going in to detail, the minimum range is about 200m, based on
transmitting a long enough chirp and the time it takes to switch from TX
to RX.

Just FYI, however, this software was able to image targets 1.5 km away,
using an RFX2400, a 3W PA, and a horn antenna.

-Johnathan
8609964d75de56552443da57880d4424?d=identicon&s=25 Bruhtesfa Ebrahim (Guest)
Hi Johnathan,

Thank you so much for the advise that you gave me ! ! !
Could you also look at the following description and give me your
comment.?
- Thanks

Ya! I am looking to detect human motion at a distance of minimum 1 meter
and
maximum 10 meter.
I have one USRP and two XCVR2450 Trancievers(operating freq. 2.45GHz),
which
I will be using one of them as transmitter and the
other as reciever. So, I have two possible ways of implemetation.

 1) As pulse doppler radar = here to get a minimum distance of 1 meter,
the
usrp should transmit  a pulse of width *5 nanosec*, then should stop and
the
reciever should start to recieve, then to measure  a velocity as high as
3m/sec, I can use PRF of 100.  Here the problem is as you said the USRP
can
not generate such a short pulse of 5 nanosec, plus it can not switch
between
transmitter and reciever so fast.

2) As CW radar = here my idea is to transmit a CW from one shell script
and
recieve the reflected data at the same time in another shell script.
Here
the problem is the isolation between the transmit and recieve paths. The
data I recieve will not be just a reflected data but also signal from
the
transmitter.

This means both of the implementation ways have problem.
So, what do you suggest?
And which one do you recommend me from your previous experience on the
USRP?

  Also Mr. Lee Pathon, the Author of  "GNU based Software Defined Radar
",
I know you worked on such stuff , could you give me some comment based
on
your work? - Thanks

Bruhtesfa

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 4:45 PM, Johnathan Corgan <
3719f4fea703e38bcbf8de6fe6bcdf55?d=identicon&s=25 Martin DvH (Guest)
On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 20:14 +0100, Bruhtesfa Ebrahim wrote:
> other as reciever. So, I have two possible ways of implemetation.
> script and recieve the reflected data at the same time in another
> shell script. Here the problem is the isolation between the transmit
> and recieve paths. The data I recieve will not be just a reflected
> data but also signal from the transmitter.
>
> This means both of the implementation ways have problem.
> So, what do you suggest?
Just my 2 cents.
I would suggest using sound in stead of radio waves.
The lower speed of soundwaves (around 300 m/sec) means the timings go
down with a factor 1000000 and you could do very precise short-range
radar (actually sonar).

You could still use the USRP. Just use amplifiers and ultrasonic
transducers in stead of antenna's.

Good luck,
Martin
8609964d75de56552443da57880d4424?d=identicon&s=25 Bruhtesfa Ebrahim (Guest)
Thanks Martin!

It is good comment!
I will now look for my options!

Bruhtesfa