Forum: Ruby on Rails Ruby on Rails -> Friendster or Facebook like website?

3fafe7a872bed9cab5c76045cf67a75e?d=identicon&s=25 pain (Guest)
Hi guys,

I am new to RoR, and I just installed it on my computer.

I am planning of building a social networking website like friendster
or facebook. At first, I was thinking of using Php and MySQL, however,
recently, I found RoR which I think pretty cool and start learn about
it. Hence, my question is: Should I use RoR or Php to develop the
social networking website? Which one is better, easier and (whatever,
bla bla bla...)? Any opinions?
6edd67c92a1dab5eb23fed79f3c18564?d=identicon&s=25 DHH (Guest)
> I am planning of building a social networking website like friendster
> or facebook. At first, I was thinking of using Php and MySQL, however,
> recently, I found RoR which I think pretty cool and start learn about
> it. Hence, my question is: Should I use RoR or Php to develop the
> social networking website? Which one is better, easier and (whatever,
> bla bla bla...)? Any opinions?

Welcome to Rails. First of all, I think the world has enough social
networks. Unless you have an incredibly unique idea or just want to do
it for the exercise itself, I wouldn't bother.

Second, you're asking a group of Rails programmers whether the
framework they're using is good or not. The answer will be as you
expect: They will think that it is ;).

Your best bet is to try it on for size. Building anything substantial
takes months at the very least. Years more often. Some times even
decades. So investing a few days up front on the main technical
alternatives you're looking to choose between seems like a sound
investment. Then all you have to do is decide what is better and
easier for you personally to use.

Good luck.
C4bfcc81ac9281cb905f38e97e4d4e0b?d=identicon&s=25 Shandy Nantz (snantz)
on 2008-11-10 16:07
You might also search the web on social networking book and help sites -
a quick search came up with many good hits and that should answer your
question on whether or not to use rails. You might pick up a book too, I
was looking at RailsSpace the other day at the bookstore and it looked
to be well put together and showed a lot of the interesting and cool
things you can do with rails. Good luck.
A1247f73598357f06388e863c41aa624?d=identicon&s=25 Elias Orozco (elioncho)
Yep, It's called:

Addison.Wesley.RailsSpace.
Building.a.Social.Networking.Website.with.Ruby.on.Rails.Jul.2007

On Nov 10, 10:07 am, Shandy Nantz <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>
3fafe7a872bed9cab5c76045cf67a75e?d=identicon&s=25 pain (Guest)
Yeah, the website I want to build is not much different from existing
social networking websites. Thats mean u all want me to do more
research on RoR?? Sure, I will do it.

Thanks guys for your great responses!!
7a9e1795a7787d27b163f7d704c98e44?d=identicon&s=25 Dan Engle (Guest)
If you really want to build your own social network, thats fine, but
before you do anything substantial take a look at...

http://github.com/stevenbristol/lovd-by-less/tree/master
and
http://github.com/insoshi/insoshi/tree/master
3fafe7a872bed9cab5c76045cf67a75e?d=identicon&s=25 Robin Cua (pain)
That was cool, thanks for the great links...

Now I have more confident that I can do it also, I will do my best.