Forum: Ruby Notepad++ (no debug output, using XP)

9be86fcdf4b26d72af27519b921ab0ec?d=identicon&s=25 Ed Hardy (ebh)
on 2008-11-10 01:16
Notepad++ seems to be a great editor for Ruby, in XP Windows.  However,
I don't see any debug output, and have searched in vain for a solution.

Please help or refer me.
9be86fcdf4b26d72af27519b921ab0ec?d=identicon&s=25 Ed Hardy (ebh)
on 2008-11-11 19:32
Is anyone aware of a prepared Ruby-Notepad++ configuration?

Notepad++ is great, but the wart I'm seeing is 'Run' (F5).  Outputs to a
DOS windoww, overlaying my code window.  Would like Notepad++ to run as
well intergrated as SciTE, which is packaged with the Ruby install for
XP.

I like Notepad++'s draggable tabs so various doc.rb's can be
repositioned.
134ea397777886d6f0aa992672a50eaa?d=identicon&s=25 Mark Thomas (Guest)
Would you consider a better Ruby editor, such as Komodo Edit?
9be86fcdf4b26d72af27519b921ab0ec?d=identicon&s=25 Ed Hardy (ebh)
on 2008-11-19 16:03
Hi Mark,

Yes, Komodo looks fine, however, it's config seems to have required some
heavy reading and tweaking.  It wouldn't just work out of the box with
Ruby, with debugging.  So I chose to continue looking for editors.

Notepad++ seems ideal for me, a stand-alone programmer, and I like
SciTE-based products, simple, clean and fast, direct.

On Nov 19, 9:59 am, Ed Hardy <asm....@excite.com> wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> Yes, Komodo looks fine, however, it's config seems to have required some
> heavy reading and tweaking.  It wouldn't just work out of the box with
> Ruby, with debugging.  So I chose to continue looking for editors.

Komodo IDE (as opposed to Edit) comes out of the box with debugging
for Ruby, but it is not free.

NetBeans has good debugging ability, and is free. The Ruby edition of
NetBeans 6.5 is relatively lean and fast (it cuts a lot of bloat from
the full edition).

-- Mark.
134ea397777886d6f0aa992672a50eaa?d=identicon&s=25 Mark Thomas (Guest)
You may also want to try Ruby in Steel. I haven't tried it (I require
something that can work on Linux too) it but looks quite nice.
http://www.sapphiresteel.com/

-- Mark.
9440222a0c3e33f369eef79712e12204?d=identicon&s=25 David Wright (__dw5__)
on 2008-11-19 22:32
I haven't used Notepad++, however here are some other free alternatives.

http://freeride.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl

http://sourceforge.net/projects/eric-ide
Eric3 is a full featured Python (and Ruby) IDE

http://www.easyeclipse.org/site/plugins/rubyeclipse.html
9be86fcdf4b26d72af27519b921ab0ec?d=identicon&s=25 Ed Hardy (ebh)
on 2008-11-20 00:39
Thanks to all of you!  Free, is not critical.  I'll continue the
evaluation with this education.  Komodo does look great.
9be86fcdf4b26d72af27519b921ab0ec?d=identicon&s=25 Ed Hardy (ebh)
on 2008-11-20 01:26
Yes, Komodo IDE (trial version) works fine.  Takes long to boot up, long
to disable/enable breakpoints, but looks great and debugs well.
Notepad++ and SciTE are nice, agile 'sport vehicles' though. :)

Thanks, Mark and David --  for the advice!
4a7f4bd240ef9f3af4f5550584599ffe?d=identicon&s=25 big choco (bigchoco)
on 2008-11-20 12:48
To be honest I can't find better than gvim
Ok, it takes a few moments to know the basics but once you know how to
save, open /browse files, and a few commands, this is perfect for any
language : I use it for ruby/rails, java, actionscript/flex, html, css,
php, c, whatever :)

And the rails plugin makes it really cool for rails development
F7d41a4824622680a50f8ac6eac8336f?d=identicon&s=25 Luc Evers (lucevers)
I'm using Netbeans which work on all systems. (Linux,Windows,Mac)
A94d89bceafe0a9dfee54f8cb9bdc6f2?d=identicon&s=25 Shin guey Wong (sgwong)
on 2008-11-22 06:05
Luc Evers wrote:
> I'm using Netbeans which work on all systems. (Linux,Windows,Mac)

Netbeans with jvi plugin is the best. However, I miss gvim theme and its
quick startup. But I wanted the Netbean refactoring support and project
management. So, when I edit a full application, I will use Netbens.
Else, I will use gvim for simple editing.
I copy that, almost.
Gvim is truly a great editor, well scripting is a pain, but I have not
found
an intuitive scripting for editors yet :(.
But for debugging, Netbeans shines, I have it installed for this sole
purpose.

Cheers
Robert

--
Ne baisse jamais la tête, tu ne verrais plus les étoiles.

Robert Dober ;)