Forum: GNU Radio Python Headers

D7e5bb540a885ff3589669c96a37794c?d=identicon&s=25 Umair Nasir (Guest)
Hi!!

In order to install GRC, one of the dependencies is pygtk. When
installing
pygtk-2.12.1, I came with the following error.

.*
.
.
checking for python version... (cached) 2.5
checking for python platform... (cached) cygwin
checking for python script directory... (cached)
${prefix}/lib/python2.5/site-pa
ckages
checking for python extension module directory... (cached)
${exec_prefix}/lib/py
thon2.5/site-packages
checking for headers required to compile python extensions... not found
configure: error: could not find Python headers*

I have two paths for site-packages that are
/lib/python2.4/site-packages
/lib/python2.5/site-packages

The files     "pygtk.py, pygtk.pyc, pygtk.pyo, and pygtk.pth" are found
in
the former directory but not in the latter. Can this be the problem?
What
can be the solution?
On Sun, 2008-11-09 at 18:44 +0500, Umair Nasir wrote:

> checking for headers required to compile python extensions... not
> found
> configure: error: could not find Python headers

This means configure cannot find Python.h, which is part of the Python
development header file package.  Normally that package is named
something like 'python-dev'.

-Johnathan
D7e5bb540a885ff3589669c96a37794c?d=identicon&s=25 Umair Nasir (Guest)
> This means configure cannot find Python.h, which is part of the Python
> development header file package.  Normally that package is named
> something like 'python-dev'.
>
> -Johnathan
>
> There is no such package in the setup.exe file for cygwin setup!!
Where to get it?
Has anyone used cygwin+GRC?
4252201ac30d6dd44d8090ce1070e35f?d=identicon&s=25 Josh Blum (Guest)
The cygwin package for pygtk is very old. Cygwin updated her packages to
python25, but never updated the pygtk package:
http://cygwin.com/packages/pygtk2/pygtk2-2.6.3-1

You will have to install pygtk from source. If you figure out how to do
this, please update the cygwin wiki with instructions ;-)
http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/CygwinInstallMain

As far as this Python.h, it seems to be listed in the cygwin package for
python, http://cygwin.com/packages/python/python-2.5.1-2
maybe configure is not looking in the right directory?

-Josh
Ad84973e0d95196c6e59bed61c3f349a?d=identicon&s=25 Don Ward (Guest)
Umair Nasir wrote:

>> This means configure cannot find Python.h, which is part of the Python
>> development header file package.  Normally that package is named
>> something like 'python-dev'.
>>
>> -Johnathan
>>
>> There is no such package in the setup.exe file for cygwin setup!!
> Where to get it?

Python.h should be in /usr/include/python2.5. The "Setup Package Search"
link at http://cygwin.com tells you that it is included in the standard
python-2.5 package.

-- Don W.
D7e5bb540a885ff3589669c96a37794c?d=identicon&s=25 Umair Nasir (Guest)
The cygwin package for pygtk is very old. Cygwin updated her packages to
> python25, but never updated the pygtk package:
> http://cygwin.com/packages/pygtk2/pygtk2-2.6.3-1
>
> You will have to install pygtk from source. If you figure out how to do
> this, please update the cygwin wiki with instructions ;-)
> http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/CygwinInstallMain

-Josh

Yes the pygtk version in cygwin's setup.exe is 2.6.3-1. And while
installing
GRC, the configure doesn't even find it. And so I downloaded
pygtk-2.12.1.
But configuring it gave the error 'cannot find python headers'.

I installed python from source. A newer version python-2.5.2 instead of
cygwin's python-2.5.1.
And then configuring pygtk could successfully find the python headers.

But now pygtk needed pygobject. Sow I downloaded pygobject source, and
configuring pygobject needed glib version greater that 2.14, so I
downloaded
glib2.19. Then glib2.19 needed 'gettext' so I used setup.exe to install
gettext. Then glib2.19 configured and installed successfully. Then
configuring pygobject didn't give glib's error, instead it said 'libffi
support: no' and stopped.
I installed libffi from source, but pygobject still gives the same
error.

Conclusion: GRC still not successful on cygwin!!

Anyone used GRC with cygwin???

Can anyone tell me which is the best environment for GNU Radio??
4252201ac30d6dd44d8090ce1070e35f?d=identicon&s=25 Josh Blum (Guest)
> glib2.19. Then glib2.19 needed 'gettext' so I used setup.exe to install
> gettext. Then glib2.19 configured and installed successfully. Then
> configuring pygobject didn't give glib's error, instead it said 'libffi
> support: no' and stopped.
> I installed libffi from source, but pygobject still gives the same error.

Thats why it was nice when cygwin came with a working version of pygtk
(of course that was a few yrs ago), and GRC did work.

> Conclusion: GRC still not successful on cygwin!!
>
> Anyone used GRC with cygwin???
>
> Can anyone tell me which is the best environment for GNU Radio??

If you have your heart set in windows. MinGW might work nicely, and you
can use the native windows builds of pygtk + gtk runtime.

But ultimately, the best environment is an actual unix environment, that
has a package manager for all the gnuradio dependencies. Like ubuntu,
fedora, some bsds.

-Josh