Forum: JRuby New and improved GlassFish gem ver 0.9.0 released

Vivek Pandey (Guest)
Pleased to announce GlassFish gem ver 0.9.0. It was a long gap. Lots of
effort went in. Hope users will like it.

Read the release announcement:
http://weblogs.java.net/blog/vivekp/archive/2008/1....

Also check out http://glassfishgem.rubyforge.org/ for getting started,
give
it a try and send us feedback.

-vivek.
Charles Oliver Nutter (Guest)
Vivek Pandey wrote:
> Pleased to announce GlassFish gem ver 0.9.0. <http://0.9.0.> It was a
> long gap. Lots of effort went in. Hope users will like it.
>
> Read the release announcement:
> http://weblogs.java.net/blog/vivekp/archive/2008/1....
>
> Also check out http://glassfishgem.rubyforge.org/ for getting started,
> give it a try and send us feedback.

So far it's working very well for me :) We demoed it at RubyConf on
Thursday and several people were very impressed that it could be
literally "one command deploy" for a variety of web frameworks.

- Charlie

Vivek Pandey-3 wrote:

> -vivek.

Cool update! I'm glad to see the 'Jruby on Rails show request header in
page' thing wasn't my fault. The Glassfish gem is really a great tool
when
developing JRoR apps that are planned for deployment on a Glassfish
server.
Thank you for your effort!

Martijn
am trying it now,
i have installed the gem, headed to my rails app folder path, typed
glassfish and requested a page , the page jst keeps trying to load  and
nothing happens , here is the output on my console:

khelll@khelll-laptop:~/projects/jd1g$ glassfish
Nov 8, 2008 6:19:28 PM com.sun.enterprise.glassfish.bootstrap.ASMain
main
INFO: Launching GlassFish on Apache Felix OSGi platform
Nov 8, 2008 6:19:28 PM com.sun.enterprise.glassfish.bootstrap.ASMainOSGi
findDerbyClient
INFO: Cannot find javadb client jar file, jdbc driver not
available

Welcome to Felix.
=================

Nov 8, 2008 6:19:29 PM OSGiModuleImpl start
INFO: Started bundle org.glassfish.core.kernel [23]
Nov 8, 2008 6:19:29 PM OSGiModuleImpl start
INFO: Started bundle org.glassfish.common.common-util [14]
Nov 8, 2008 6:19:29 PM OSGiModuleImpl start
INFO: Started bundle GlassFish-Application-Common-Module [19]
Nov 8, 2008 6:19:29 PM APIClassLoaderService createAPIClassLoader
INFO: APIClassLoader = Class Loader for Bundle
[GlassFish-Application-Common-Module [19] ]
Nov 8, 2008 6:19:29 PM HK2Main$HK2ServiceTrackerCustomizer
addingService
INFO: registering service =
org.apache.felix.framework.StartLevelImpl@95b8a,
contract = org.osgi.service.startlevel.StartLevel, name = null
Nov 8, 2008 6:19:29 PM HK2Main$HK2ServiceTrackerCustomizer
addingService

INFO: registering service =
org.apache.felix.framework.PackageAdminImpl@db14d4, contract =
org.osgi.service.packageadmin.PackageAdmin, name = null
Nov 8, 2008 6:19:29 PM OSGiModuleImpl
start

INFO: Started bundle org.glassfish.branding.branding
[22]

no resource bundle found for version, using default GlassFish
version

Nov 8, 2008 6:19:29 PM AppServerStartup
run

INFO: [Thread[GlassFish Kernel Main Thread,5,main]]
started

Nov 8, 2008 6:19:29 PM OSGiModuleImpl
start

INFO: Started bundle org.glassfish.common.internal-api
[15]

Nov 8, 2008 6:19:29 PM OSGiModuleImpl
start

INFO: Started bundle org.glassfish.admin.config-api
[25]

Nov 8, 2008 6:19:29 PM OSGiModuleImpl
start

INFO: Started bundle org.glassfish.deployment.deployment-autodeploy
[16]

Nov 8, 2008 6:19:29 PM OSGiModuleImpl
start

INFO: Started bundle org.glassfish.deployment.deployment-common
[17]

Nov 8, 2008 6:19:29 PM OSGiModuleImpl
start

INFO: Started bundle org.glassfish.flashlight.flashlight-framework
[18]

Nov 8, 2008 6:19:29 PM com.sun.enterprise.v3.services.impl.GrizzlyProxy
start
INFO: Listening on port
3000

Nov 8, 2008 6:19:29 PM
com.sun.enterprise.v3.services.impl.GrizzlyService
postConstruct
INFO: Network listener http-listener-2 on port 8181 disabled per
domain.xml

Nov 8, 2008 6:19:29 PM com.sun.enterprise.v3.services.impl.GrizzlyProxy
start
INFO: Listening on port
4848

Nov 8, 2008 6:19:29 PM
com.sun.enterprise.v3.admin.adapter.AdminConsoleAdapter
setStateMsg
INFO: The Admin Console Application is not yet
installed.

Nov 8, 2008 6:19:31 PM OSGiModuleImpl
start

INFO: Started bundle org.glassfish.scripting.gf-jruby-connector
[8]

Nov 8, 2008 6:19:31 PM OSGiModuleImpl
start

INFO: Started bundle org.glassfish.scripting.grizzly-jruby-module
[9]

Nov 8, 2008 6:19:32 PM com.sun.grizzly.jruby.rack.RackApplicationChooser
getFactory
INFO: Detected Rails
application

Nov 8, 2008 6:19:32 PM com.sun.grizzly.jruby.rack.RackApplicationChooser
getFactory
INFO: Rails Version:
2.1

Nov 8, 2008 6:19:32 PM com.sun.grizzly.pool.DynamicPool
logDynamicStatus

INFO: Pool started without dynamic resizing enabled. Pool will not
attempt
to determine the upper and lower bounds that it should be using, and
will
stay at 1

Nov 8, 2008 6:19:41 PM
SEVERE: /home/khelll/projects/jd1g/lib/overrides.rb:34 warning: already
initialized constant ABBR_MONTHNAMES

Nov 8, 2008 6:19:41 PM
SEVERE: /home/khelll/projects/jd1g/lib/overrides.rb:35 warning: already
initialized constant ABBR_DAYNAMES

Nov 8, 2008 6:19:41 PM
SEVERE: /home/khelll/projects/jd1g/lib/overrides.rb:37 warning: already
initialized constant MONTHNAMES

Nov 8, 2008 6:19:41 PM
SEVERE: /home/khelll/projects/jd1g/lib/overrides.rb:39 warning: already
initialized constant DAYNAMES

Nov 8, 2008 6:19:42 PM
com.sun.grizzly.jruby.rack.RackApplicationPoolAdapter
initializeObject
SEVERE: Error initializing rack
application!
Nov 8, 2008 6:19:42
PM
SEVERE: com.sun.grizzly.jruby.rack.RackInitializationException: no such
file
to load -- rack
        from
<script>:1

Nov 8, 2008 6:19:42 PM
SEVERE:         at
com.sun.grizzly.jruby.rack.DefaultRackApplicationFactory.createApplication(DefaultRackApplicationFactory.java:171)
Nov 8, 2008 6:19:42
PM

SEVERE:         at
com.sun.grizzly.jruby.rack.DefaultRackApplicationFactory.newApplication(DefaultRackApplicationFactory.java:72)

Nov 8, 2008 6:19:42
PM

SEVERE:         at
com.sun.grizzly.jruby.rack.RackApplicationPoolAdapter.initializeObject(RackApplicationPoolAdapter.java:43)

Nov 8, 2008 6:19:42
PM

SEVERE:         at
com.sun.grizzly.jruby.rack.RackApplicationPoolAdapter.initializeObject(RackApplicationPoolAdapter.java:16)

Nov 8, 2008 6:19:42
PM

SEVERE:         at
com.sun.grizzly.pool.DynamicPool$1.run(DynamicPool.java:394)

Nov 8, 2008 6:19:42
PM

SEVERE:         at

Nov 8, 2008 6:19:42
PM

SEVERE:         at

Nov 8, 2008 6:19:42
PM

SEVERE:         at
java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

Nov 8, 2008 6:19:42
PM

SEVERE: Caused by:
org.jruby.exceptions.RaiseException

Nov 8, 2008 6:19:42
PM

SEVERE:         at
Kernel.raise(/home/khelll/projects/jruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.1.2/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:513)
Nov 8, 2008 6:19:42
PM

SEVERE:         at
Object.require(<script>:1)

Nov 8, 2008 6:19:42
PM

SEVERE:         at
(unknown).(unknown)(:1)

Nov 8, 2008 6:19:42 PM com.sun.grizzly.jruby.RailsAdapter
<init>

INFO: Jruby version is:
1.1.5

Nov 8, 2008 6:19:42 PM org.glassfish.scripting.rails.RailsDeployer
load
INFO: Loading Rails application jd1g at
/

Nov 8, 2008 6:19:42 PM com.sun.enterprise.v3.server.AppServerStartup
run
INFO: GlassFish v3 Prelude startup time : Felix(632ms) startup
services(12719ms) total(13351ms)
Nov 8, 2008 6:19:42 PM
SEVERE: Exception in thread "pool-8-thread-1"
Nov 8, 2008 6:19:42 PM
SEVERE: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Rack initialization failed!
Nov 8, 2008 6:19:42 PM
SEVERE:         at
com.sun.grizzly.jruby.rack.RackApplicationPoolAdapter.initializeObject(RackApplicationPoolAdapter.java:49)
Nov 8, 2008 6:19:42 PM
SEVERE:         at
com.sun.grizzly.jruby.rack.RackApplicationPoolAdapter.initializeObject(RackApplicationPoolAdapter.java:16)
Nov 8, 2008 6:19:42 PM
SEVERE:         at
com.sun.grizzly.pool.DynamicPool$1.run(DynamicPool.java:394)
Nov 8, 2008 6:19:42 PM
SEVERE:         at
Nov 8, 2008 6:19:42 PM
SEVERE:         at
Nov 8, 2008 6:19:42 PM
SEVERE:         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

Well Charles, it seems i had forgotten to install the rack gem!
But shouldn't all dependencies get installed ???
Anyhow, it's working now :D
The big question is what is the best number of runtimes??

Thanks
The missing rack dependency is not your fault; the gem should have
required it correctly. So that's a bug on GF side.

Number of runtimes...you're going to have to experiment a bit. It will
probably be fewer than you'd need for MRI, but probably not zero (unless
you're able to get Rails 2.2 working. Try out 2 or 3 and see if you can
get the scaling you need.

Charles Oliver Nutter <charles.nutter <at> sun.com> writes:

> The missing rack dependency is not your fault; the gem should have
> required it correctly. So that's a bug on GF side.

JRuby 1.1.3 bundles rubygems 1.2.0 which doesn't automatically resolve
gem
dependencies.

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail...

Andrew

On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 6:42 PM, Charles Oliver Nutter <
charles.nutter@sun.com> wrote:

> The missing rack dependency is not your fault; the gem should have required
> it correctly. So that's a bug on GF side.

Yes, it looks like Rack gem dependency is not defined correctly. There
are
couple other issues reported too. A release is in order latter this
week.

> Number of runtimes...you're going to have to experiment a bit. It will
> probably be fewer than you'd need for MRI, but probably not zero (unless
> you're able to get Rails 2.2 working. Try out 2 or 3 and see if you can get
> the scaling you need.

Typically, based on the resources available on your systems,you may like
set max runtimes equal to maybe 1.5 times the number of cores on your
system
should be fine and it also depends on how large your application is.

Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
> Number of runtimes...you're going to have to experiment a bit. It will
> probably be fewer than you'd need for MRI, but probably not zero

Wow, I just realized the genius of that statement. Zero runtimes?

- Charlie

yeah probably :D

On 11/9/08, Charles Oliver Nutter <charles.nutter@sun.com> wrote:

The auto-configuring runtime pool should figure that out for you, as
long as you set the minimum/maximum to the limits of your machine. It
won't go creating more runtimes than it needs, even if you've set the
maximum higher.

Khaled al Habache wrote:

>     Nov 8, 2008 6:19:28 PM
>
>     addingService
>     start
>     INFO: [Thread[GlassFish Kernel Main Thread,5,main]]
>
>     Nov 8, 2008 6:19:29 PM OSGiModuleImpl
>

>     Nov 8, 2008 6:19:29 PM
>
>     INFO: Detected Rails
>     logDynamicStatus
>     SEVERE: /home/khelll/projects/jd1g/lib/overrides.rb:35 warning:
>     Nov 8, 2008 6:19:42 PM
>
>     Nov 8, 2008 6:19:42
>
>     java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
>     SEVERE:         at
>

>     load
>     Nov 8, 2008 6:19:42 PM
>     SEVERE:         at
>
>            http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

A question about this feature...If you have multiple blocked runtimes
(like some IO-bound sort of deal), then wouldn't more runtimes than
cores be better?  From what I remember your heuristic is based on
number of cores, but it seems like it may be useful to have more
runtimes than cores (I admit I am fuzzy in remembering the heuristic).

-Tom

--
Blog: http://www.bloglines.com/blog/ThomasEEnebo
Email: enebo@acm.org , tom.enebo@gmail.com

The scaling is done based on the time that the request thread sits
around waiting for a runtime to start processing on, so being IO-bound
shouldn't affect the scaling calculation, except in terms of wanting
enough runtimes around to have all requests being processed at the same
time, which might be infinite in a case where you were processing one
request every 50ms and receiving one every 25ms. In that situation, it
would increase to the maximum number you had specified and sit there.

The pool used to guess that you wanted as many runtimes as cores if you
didn't tell it differently, but we changed that to be one runtime by
default and more if you give it a maximum number of runtimes. It
certainly doesn't limit you to the number of cores you have available or
anything like that. To figure out the limits, you'd need to look at
available memory (especially permgen) and processor power required per
request. As I mentioned before, the maximum is really more like a
failsafe to prevent the pool from increasing under heavy load beyond
where it is useful or possible. It will always keep as few runtimes
active as it thinks is possible, regardless of the maximum you have set
(so if you set a maximum of 8, but are only getting 3 concurrent
requests, it will only generate 3 runtimes).

Thomas E Enebo wrote:
>> The auto-configuring runtime pool should figure that out for you, as long as
>>> Thanks
>>>    typed glassfish and requested a page , the page jst keeps trying
>>>    available
>>>    INFO: APIClassLoader = Class Loader for Bundle
>>>    org.osgi.service.packageadmin.PackageAdmin, name = null
>>>    run
>>>    Nov 8, 2008 6:19:29 PM OSGiModuleImpl
>>>    [16]
>>>    INFO: Started bundle org.glassfish.flashlight.flashlight-framework
>>>    com.sun.enterprise.v3.services.impl.GrizzlyService
>>>
>>>    [8]
>>>
>>>    Nov 8, 2008 6:19:32 PM com.sun.grizzly.pool.DynamicPool
>>>    Nov 8, 2008 6:19:41 PM    SEVERE:
>>>
>>>    <script>:1

com.sun.grizzly.jruby.rack.DefaultRackApplicationFactory.newApplication(DefaultRackApplicationFactory.java:72)

>>>    Nov 8, 2008 6:19:42
>>>

>>>    PM
>>>    Nov 8, 2008 6:19:42 PM com.sun.grizzly.jruby.RailsAdapter
>>>
>>>    SEVERE:         at
>>>    SEVERE:         at
>>>    Eng Khaled al Habache
>>>        Vivek Pandey-3 wrote: