Forum: JRuby JRuby 1.0.3 broken gem install

5f19a61c59692713f86abf93c5cfe9c1?d=identicon&s=25 Ray Krueger (Guest)
I'm stuck trying to do what I'm doing in a Java 1.4 environment. That
being said, I'm trying to use jruby-1.0.3.

It's failing out of the box to do any gem installs right now...

$ jruby -v
ruby 1.8.5 (2007-12-15 rev 5200) [i386-jruby1.0.3]

$ jruby -S gem install activerecord
Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (NativeException)
    org.jvyamlb.ParserException: ParserException while scanning a
block mapping we had this expected <block end>, but found
org.jvyamlb.tokens.ScalarToken

> ERROR:  While executing gem ... (NativeException)
>    org.jvyamlb.ParserException: ParserException while scanning a
> block mapping we had this expected <block end>, but found
> org.jvyamlb.tokens.ScalarToken

OK, I've tried this now on Windows and Ubuntu, under JDK 1.4 and 1.5.
jruby-1.0.3 is just plain busted it seems. I figured maybe rubygems
needed to be updated, but that fails too...

$ jruby -S gem update --system
Updating RubyGems...
Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (NativeException)
    org.jvyamlb.ParserException: ParserException while scanning a
block mapping we had this expected <block end>, but found
org.jvyamlb.tokens.ScalarToken

I even went so far as to hack my jruby.jar and drop the org.jvyamlib
package and add the latest stand-alone version of that to my
classpath. No luck.

Am I just screwed? Is jruby-1.0.3 end-of-life at this point?
Thanks :)

Ray Krueger wrote:
> Am I just screwed? Is jruby-1.0.3 end-of-life at this point?
> Thanks :)

Well here's the deal...we have nowhere near enough people to continue
making changes/updates to the 1.0 line, so as far as current resources
1.0 is EOL. That said, we're not opposed to applying patches or giving
commit rights to 1.0 branch if there are people who want to keep it
alive.

- Charlie

> Well here's the deal...we have nowhere near enough people to continue making
> changes/updates to the 1.0 line, so as far as current resources 1.0 is EOL.
> That said, we're not opposed to applying patches or giving commit rights to
> 1.0 branch if there are people who want to keep it alive.

Thanks. I think I'll just kick and scream that we need to get the hell
off of JDK 1.4 around here :)

On  10 Nov, 2008, at 4:10 PM, Ray Krueger wrote:

>> Well here's the deal...we have nowhere near enough people to
>> continue making
>> changes/updates to the 1.0 line, so as far as current resources 1.0
>> is EOL.
>> That said, we're not opposed to applying patches or giving commit
>> rights to
>> 1.0 branch if there are people who want to keep it alive.
>
> Thanks. I think I'll just kick and scream that we need to get the hell
> off of JDK 1.4 around here :)

If you haven't already, you could try pointing out that it's been EOL'd.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/

--
Bill Kocik

> If you haven't already, you could try pointing out that it's been EOL'd.
>
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/

Oh I have...
But with old-ass-weblogic comes old-ass-java. We're making the changes
needed to get off that junk. I wanted to get us going using
ActiveRecord migrations asap though as I yapped about here...
http://raykrueger.blogspot.com/2008/10/managing-da...

Unfortunately getting jruby-1.1 going involves getting jdk 1.5
installed which sort of negates my main reason for using JRuby. I was
hoping to avoid a full "software install" by just dropping jruby on
the box. If I gotta have our ops folks install jdk 1.5, I might as
well have them install MRI if we're going to go installing stuff.

No worries, another day, another challenge :)

Ray Krueger wrote:
> Unfortunately getting jruby-1.1 going involves getting jdk 1.5
> installed which sort of negates my main reason for using JRuby. I was
> hoping to avoid a full "software install" by just dropping jruby on
> the box. If I gotta have our ops folks install jdk 1.5, I might as
> well have them install MRI if we're going to go installing stuff.
>
> No worries, another day, another challenge :)

I have no idea whether it works, but you could also try retroweaving
JRuby to Java 1.4.

- Charlie