Forum: Ruby-Gnome 2 Status of the Windows Version ?

Bd35f5d43617fc45294f1c1a7fe56aea?d=identicon&s=25 MeMyselfAndI (Guest)
Hello,

I tried to port a program from Linux to Windows. After some hours I
finally got it running the first time but instead of showing me a dialog
a mass of pango warnings appeared finalized with a segfault.

I am at home now where I only have Linux and can only try at Sunday to
track down the problem to a smaller set of code.

On the other side the binaries I used were
"ruby-gnome2-0.16.0-1-i386-mswin32.exe", which has been the latest
compiled windows version I could find but is already two years old. How
is the Windows support ? Is it still being actively supported ? Are
there and new binary builds ? Is the problem likely to be fixed ?

I want to get my program running on Windows though I am not a Windows
developer. I use Linux for years and have only very limited access to a
Windows machine. (There is not even a C++ compiler). So I can not
package it myself there.

Different topic but do you plan to release it as a gem ?

My program used to crash sometimes reporting a segfault. It was because
of threaded access to the gui. I nearly eliminated these problems by
mutexes and have only the problem of a thread accessing a already
destroyed widget leading also to a segfault. Both errors are depending
much on the timing of the user.

When I used booh another ruby gtk program sometime it also quit with a
segfault after fast interaction - maybe it was a similar problem.

Is there a call to check if a widget is still valid ?

And generally I wonder should not there be any segfaults when I am using
a scripting language ? I already accept to have slower execution cause
of the interpretation and the GUI is not a performance critical part. So
should there not be some checks for not having segfaults ?

Thanks for Ruby-Gnome by the way - sorry for any claiming !

In <1226053847.5756.28.camel@ollisland.mshome.net>
  "[ruby-gnome2-devel-en] Status of the Windows Version ?" on Fri, 07
Nov 2008 12:30:47 +0200,
  MeMyselfAndI <MeMyselfAndI@wheep.de> wrote:

> is the Windows support ? Is it still being actively supported ? Are
> there and new binary builds ? Is the problem likely to be fixed ?
>
> I want to get my program running on Windows though I am not a Windows
> developer. I use Linux for years and have only very limited access to a
> Windows machine. (There is not even a C++ compiler). So I can not
> package it myself there.

I hope that I can cross-compile Ruby-GNOME2 for Windows on
my Linux environment. (I can cross-compile rcairo for
Windows on my Linux environment.) But it is needed more
works.

> Different topic but do you plan to release it as a gem ?

The task has low priority for now. We have a few development
resources.

kou