Forum: RSpec rspec gem vs "rspec plugin" vs "rspec-rails plugin" ???

D5df9fcd7ef4c3c937435d7d6adeab2a?d=identicon&s=25 Greg Hauptmann (Guest)

I've got the rspec gem installed, as well as the two plugins "rspec" &
"rspec-rails".  I can't remember which is actual used and which isn't
for my rails app when I go "rake spec"?  Anyone know?

Could I remove either of the core rpec gem OR the "rspec plugin"?  or
do I need all three components?

Tks
Greg Hauptmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got the rspec gem installed, as well as the two plugins "rspec" &
> "rspec-rails".  I can't remember which is actual used and which isn't
> for my rails app when I go "rake spec"?  Anyone know?
>
> Could I remove either of the core rpec gem OR the "rspec plugin"?  or
> do I need all three components?
>
> Tks

The plugins are no longer required, you can only use the rspec and
rspec-rails gems. For a rails app you will simply have to run
"script/generate rspec" to generate a few files, and then you are all
set.
D5df9fcd7ef4c3c937435d7d6adeab2a?d=identicon&s=25 Greg Hauptmann (Guest)
so just to be clear are you saying:

* rspec gem => All that is need for Ruby on Rails Rspec work
* 'rspec plugin' => not needed (functionality in gem)
* 'rspec-rails' plugin => not needed (functionality in gem)

is this right?

thanks again
0be0e4aa42aacd9a8a95c792de273ca7?d=identicon&s=25 aslak hellesoy (Guest)
On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Greg Hauptmann
<greg.hauptmann.ruby@gmail.com> wrote:
> so just to be clear are you saying:
>
> * rspec gem => All that is need for Ruby on Rails Rspec work
> * 'rspec plugin' => not needed (functionality in gem)
> * 'rspec-rails' plugin => not needed (functionality in gem)
>
> is this right?

Not quite

rspec gem or plugin => basic rspec without rails support (runner, rake
task, api for describe/it, should etc)
rspec-rails gem or plugin => extra support for rails model view and
controller, database integration, code generation (script/generate)

It doesn't matter whether you use the gem or the plugin. Just pick one
that suits your team.
(If you use the plugin you don't have to worry about people having
different versions installed, but it's alittle more work to install)

Aslak
0be0e4aa42aacd9a8a95c792de273ca7?d=identicon&s=25 aslak hellesoy (Guest)
On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 12:56 PM, aslak hellesoy
<aslak.hellesoy@gmail.com> wrote:

> Not quite
>
> rspec gem or plugin => basic rspec without rails support (runner, rake
> task, api for describe/it, should etc)
> rspec-rails gem or plugin => extra support for rails model view and
> controller, database integration, code generation (script/generate)

forgot to clarify - for rails development you'll need both rspec and
rspec-rails.
> forgot to clarify - for rails development you'll need both rspec and
> rspec-rails.

What I meant is that you can go plugin-less, you just have to install
the two following gems: rspec and rspec-rails, then bootstrap your app
by generating a few files. And your set.

I personally prefer using gems than plugins.
D5df9fcd7ef4c3c937435d7d6adeab2a?d=identicon&s=25 Greg Hauptmann (Guest)
oh, I hadn't known there was a "rspec-rails" gem.  Thanks