Forum: JRuby RubyConf talk details?

4236ea6b84f4899b469e8edff4bf6d22?d=identicon&s=25 Matthew Williams (mdweezer)
In just over 24 hours we'll be readying up for Matz to hit the stage
to open up RubyConf and shortly thereafter JRuby will have Room 3 for
45 minutes.

But I'm in a bit of a dilemma, the other two scheduled talks sound
interesting (grrr for multi track conferences).  I had the opportunity
to see Charles speak at acts_as_conference in Orlando and it's always
amazing to see the progression of this project and the constant
improvements and how high it's setting the bar for other
implementations.

So, my question is, will there be any new and excited announcements or
demonstrations (or anything different from when I saw Charles speak
earlier this year) that may swing me over to Room 3 tomorrow from the
other two scheduled talks (Ruby for embedded applications and Building
Distributed Applications)?

Take care and I hope to see many familiar names at RubyConf this
weekend!
-MW

Matthew Williams wrote:

> So, my question is, will there be any new and excited announcements or
> demonstrations (or anything different from when I saw Charles speak
> earlier this year) that may swing me over to Room 3 tomorrow from the
> other two scheduled talks (Ruby for embedded applications and Building
> Distributed Applications)?
>
> Take care and I hope to see many familiar names at RubyConf this weekend!

45 minutes isn't very long, but we'd like to make it really heavy on
demos and practical details. We'll skip GUI stuff since the Happy
Campers have a MonkeyBars talk, and instead show Rails
execution/deployment, 3D game dev, 1.9 support, and do a short-but-sweet
pitch for why building on the JVM is such a great idea.

I won't try to pull you away, if you think you've seen this stuff
before, but it should still be a fun talk. To be honest, I'm really
hoping more folks *not* interested in JRuby are there...it's a little
unfortunate we don't have a plenary session this year.

- Charlie

Charles Oliver Nutter said...
> > implementations.
> demos and practical details. We'll skip GUI stuff since the Happy
> Campers have a MonkeyBars talk, and instead show Rails
> execution/deployment, 3D game dev, 1.9 support, and do a short-but-sweet
> pitch for why building on the JVM is such a great idea.
>
> I won't try to pull you away, if you think you've seen this stuff
> before, but it should still be a fun talk. To be honest, I'm really
> hoping more folks *not* interested in JRuby are there...it's a little
> unfortunate we don't have a plenary session this year.

Will the talks be filmed - is that word still in use? ;-) I'd like to
see both the Rails talk and Monkeybars.

--
Cheers,
Marc

That's a good question...  I'm hoping the ConFreaks folks are there.
They do a fantastic job with producing conference videos.

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 2:10 PM, marc <gmane@auxbuss.com> wrote:
>> > improvements and how high it's setting the bar for other
>> 45 minutes isn't very long, but we'd like to make it really heavy on
> Will the talks be filmed - is that word still in use? ;-) I'd like to

Yeah, the conference organizers said this morning that Confreaks will
be making videos of the conference available online.

They did not say when.