Forum: Nitro Some points about continuing Nitro/Og development

45196398e9685000d195ec626d477f0e?d=identicon&s=25 Thomas Sawyer (7rans)
To bring Nitro/Og up to speed, some dependencies need updating.

The Blow project is essentially defunct -- there just wasn't enough
holding that project together to make it worth while. Most of the
libraries that made it up have been moved back into Facets, including
htmlfilter.rb. What is not in there though is the xml/html builder lib
--that code was weak, and there are better solutions out there anyway.
As a replacement for that, I recommend trying Nokogiri. The project
looks tight, and the developer's responsive.

Also, the atom and rss stuff I was working on has been moved to a new
project called XDK (XML Development Kit). However, I've pretty much
come to the conclusion that this project too isn't really worth the
code it is written in. The code itself is fine, but the utility of the
project I think is questionable. XDK is basically a  Ruby-based schema
dsl that provides a schema-specific parser and builder for any schema
one defines in it. Perhaps if there were an XML-Schema to XDK
converter it be more interesting, but as it stands it seems easier to
just use a generic parser and builder like Nokogiri instead. In any
case, the upshot is those libs will need to be refitted.

Also, and I'm not sure how much this will effect Nitro, but for Og,
the Anise library needs to be used in place of the old Facets
annotations.rb. Essentially the same thing, but I spun it off as a
separate project.

No doubt there are other dependency issues to consider, but these I
know need address. I'll let you all know if I think of any more.

T.
Bf0504f185551cac57895df741836051?d=identicon&s=25 chris (Guest)
On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 3:25 AM, trans <transfire@gmail.com> wrote:

> To bring Nitro/Og up to speed, some dependencies need updating.
>
> The Blow project is essentially defunct -- there just wasn't enough
> holding that project together to make it worth while. Most of the
> libraries that made it up have been moved back into Facets, including
> htmlfilter.rb. What is not in there though is the xml/html builder lib
> --that code was weak, and there are better solutions out there anyway.
> As a replacement for that, I recommend trying Nokogiri. The project
> looks tight, and the developer's responsive.

I will look at Nokogiri and make the necessary changes.

> case, the upshot is those libs will need to be refitted.

Hmmm.  Sounds like I'll have to look into some options for this one.

> Also, and I'm not sure how much this will effect Nitro, but for Og,
> the Anise library needs to be used in place of the old Facets
> annotations.rb. Essentially the same thing, but I spun it off as a
> separate project.

I'll go look at that as well.  annotations seem to be pretty prevalent.
So
definitely something we need to have more solid before release.

> No doubt there are other dependency issues to consider, but these I
> know need address. I'll let you all know if I think of any more.

Thanks Trans.
-Chris
On Nov 5, 1:16 pm, chris <prp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hmmm.  Sounds like I'll have to look into some options for this one.

Probably not a big deal. It's easy enough to generate rss or atom
using a builder.

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 3:04 PM, trans <transfire@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > one defines in it. Perhaps if there were an XML-Schema to XDK
> > > converter it be more interesting, but as it stands it seems easier to
> > > just use a generic parser and builder like Nokogiri instead. In any
> > > case, the upshot is those libs will need to be refitted.
> >
> > Hmmm.  Sounds like I'll have to look into some options for this one.
>
> Probably not a big deal. It's easy enough to generate rss or atom
> using a builder.

Yeah, that part I know. It's a matter of choosing the right library from
my
perspective.
45196398e9685000d195ec626d477f0e?d=identicon&s=25 Thomas Sawyer (7rans)
On Nov 5, 1:16 pm, chris <prp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > one defines in it. Perhaps if there were an XML-Schema to XDK
> > annotations.rb. Essentially the same thing, but I spun it off as a
> > separate project.
>
> I'll go look at that as well.  annotations seem to be pretty prevalent.  So
> definitely something we need to have more solid before release.

Anise should be pretty solid, it originated from Nitro/Og and has gone
through a number of refinements and a couple rewrites while part of
Facets.

T.
Bf0504f185551cac57895df741836051?d=identicon&s=25 chris (Guest)
Sounds good.  I'll make a final decision prior to my public nitro, raw,
etc
release.

-Chris
On Nov 6, 3:04 pm, trans <transf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Probably not a big deal. It's easy enough to generate rss or atom
> using a builder.

Just in case, I had a hard time finding the docs for it, so this may
be helpful:

http://github.com/tenderlove/nokogiri/wikis/generate

T.