Forum: Ruby on Rails integration with plone site--insane?

D6434aa0b7b350f8c3ed0119d81b2ead?d=identicon&s=25 Roy Pardee (rpardee)
Hey All,

My group has a plone-based public web portal thingy that a contractor
provides for us, w/all the usual CMS goodies (contacts; news items,
hierarchical folder structure, etc.).

Quite independently of that, they asked me to create a
project/collaboration tracking application (who's involved w/what
project, in what capacity, etc.) which I took as an opportunity to learn
RoR.  The plone thing runs at the contractor's & is accessible from
several different organizations (a requirement).  The RoR app just runs
here at my site on our intranet (w/out any security at all).

Management may be moving toward the <<plone site>> + <<ror web app>> =
<<super web app!>> arithmatic, and it's giving me a queasy feeling.

Has anybody tried to integrate a plone site & a ror app?  Single-sign-on
is the most desired thing I believe, tho sharing lists of people &
contact info etc. would also be nice.  Any pointers/advice would be most
appreciated.

Thanks!

-Roy

Roy Pardee
Research Analyst/Programmer
Group Health Center For Health Studies (Cancer Research Network)
(206) 287-2078
Google Talk: rpardee
29a0b45cdf0e6b8b93d520e5105bf4ce?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Kahle (geopoliticus)
on 2008-11-04 02:32
>Roy Pardee wrote:
> Has anybody tried to integrate a plone site & a ror app?  Single-sign-on
> is the most desired thing I believe, tho sharing lists of people &
> contact info etc. would also be nice.  Any pointers/advice would be most
> appreciated.

What about OpenID?  On the plone side have them add OpenID support.
http://plone.org/documentation/how-to/openid-support

On the RoR side do the same.
http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/openid

Cheers.
D6434aa0b7b350f8c3ed0119d81b2ead?d=identicon&s=25 Roy Pardee (rpardee)
Thanks!  I wondered about that.  Does OpenID do actual single-sign on,
or is it more that you can use the same credentials from site to site?

I think if I put my app out in the wild I'll try to do openid.  The
trick will be getting the contractor to make that an option for the
plone site.  They're using a customized version & serving it out to a
pretty large customer base, and so even adding plug-ins (or whatever
they're called) is a Big Deal.  Or so they tell me anyway. :P

Thanks much for the response.

-Roy