Forum: Ruby on Rails looking for a somewhat old quote

7223c62b7310e164eb79c740188abbda?d=identicon&s=25 Xavier Noria (fxn)
In the early Rails days a few renowed people rewrote a Java webapp in
Rails, and they did it in a fraction of the time and with less lines
of code than lines of XML config files. That was about four years ago
or something like that.

I can't find a quote for that, web page, book prologue... anyone?
On Oct 31, 10:01 pm, "Xavier Noria" <f...@hashref.com> wrote:
> In the early Rails days a few renowed people rewrote a Java webapp in
> Rails, and they did it in a fraction of the time and with less lines
> of code than lines of XML config files. That was about four years ago
> or something like that.
>
> I can't find a quote for that, web page, book prologue... anyone?

I'm pretty sure that came from Bruce Tate's "From Java To
Ruby" (http://www.pragprog.com/titles/fr_j2r/from-java-to-ruby). I
think there's a copy hanging around at work, I can probably look it up
on monday if you haven't found it then.

Fred
7223c62b7310e164eb79c740188abbda?d=identicon&s=25 Xavier Noria (fxn)
On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 12:10 AM, Frederick Cheung
<frederick.cheung@gmail.com> wrote:

> think there's a copy hanging around at work, I can probably look it up
> on monday if you haven't found it then.

Right :-).

I have the book and have scanned it. It is explained in the section "A
Case Study" starting on page 38.

Bruce Tate and Justin Gehtland (Java experts, authors, etc.) write a
Java webapp in 4 months that took even longer in .NET. They use
Spring/Hibernate/WebWork. Then Justin rewrites it in Rails in 4
nights. The application runs even faster. In the book I see no comment
about LOCs, but following those hints I could finally get to the
original post by Justin

   http://blog.thinkrelevance.com/2005/4/4/some-numbers-at-last

that has some metrics.

Thank you very much Fred!