Forum: Ruby on Rails Capistrano question

4c70286747864c04c5c1f9b0aa380590?d=identicon&s=25 Joe Blow (joeblow)
on 2008-10-31 03:38
When configuring the ssh_options[:keys] options. It says it should have
a value of path/to/ssh/id_rsa. Is that on my local machine or on the
host machine?
9b4c04c050122bcea16a6f3376d680fa?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel Bush (danb)
On Oct 31, 1:38 pm, Joe Blow <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net> wrote:
> When configuring the ssh_options[:keys] options. It says it should have
> a value of path/to/ssh/id_rsa. Is that on my local machine or on the
> host machine?

id_rsa is your private key and should stay on your local machine; keep
it secret; it will take the place of your password when logging in to
the server.  If you're worried it may be accessed by other people then
encrypt it with a passphrase.
id_rsa.pub is the public key and you can push that up to your server
and (usually) stick it in ~/.ssh/authorized_keys. (see ssh-copy-id)
ssh_options needs to know the private key so that it can authenticate
you with your server (once you've pushed up your public key).

--
Daniel Bush