Forum: Ruby on Rails The Forum Hunt continues...

34a7615f38496a5dafbb3e6b721c435e?d=identicon&s=25 Mohit Sindhwani (Guest)
I'm still looking around for a good forum to integrate with a Radiant
site that I'm working on, and I have narrowed it down to three options
in the Rails world:
(a) RForum - that seems to be updated less frequently, but seems quite
good!
(b) Altered Beast - quoted as an exemplary Rails 2 application
(c) El Dorado - Seems quite nice and has nice extra features

As such, my main requirements are quite simple:
(a) Multiple forums, discussions and messages
(b) Good spam controls and support for moderating messages, users, etc.
(c) User control and registration
(d) Some integration with e-mail (like watching threads) - optional.
(e) Support for multi-lingual messages (UI doesn't need to be)
(f) Some support for Integration: modify style sheets, simple recent
messages page, a simple user model, etc.

Looking around in the non-Rails world, I find that PhpBB is popular but
has a bad name when it comes to security and some people say that it is
quite hard to integrate with/ change.  Another one I stumbled across is
called Vanilla and it seems to have a good reputation for a clean UI and
ease of integration and support for add-ons.  URL:
http://getvanilla.com/

Does anyone have any suggestions/ experience to share?  It is acceptable
for the BBS to run on a separate sub-domain from the Radiant site.
There is no need for there to be very tight integration between the two.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Mohit.
10/31/2008 | 2:19 AM.
There is 'altered beast' which is based of the no longer maintained
'best' forum app.

But if you want a truly slow and insecure server, then please use phpBB.
Fernando Perez wrote:
> There is 'altered beast' which is based of the no longer maintained
> 'best' forum app.
>
> But if you want a truly slow and insecure server, then please use phpBB.

Hi Fernando, thanks for the reply.  So, it does seem that the general
feedback is to avoid phpBB.
In Rails, all options are still open to me... my curiosity is currently
piqued by Vanilla which is something that looks very interesting.

Cheers,
Mohit.
10/31/2008 | 4:48 AM.
I know a few phpBB forums that have been hacked, moreover it is badly
coded (slow buggy, etc) and the 'extensions' are even more badly coded.
7b488e1be2db29c8489d80d59818b17e?d=identicon&s=25 Jeffrey Lim (jfl)
on 2008-12-03 10:00
Fernando Perez wrote:
> There is 'altered beast' which is based of the no longer maintained
> 'best' forum app.

speaking of which.. so is there an alternative to beast or "altered
beast" right now? I tried altered just recently - but didnt go away with
such a good impression.
9a2a53db8e9b4476038c94a64b32833f?d=identicon&s=25 Ryan Bigg (ryan-bigg)
There is my project called rboard http://github.com/radar/rboard
compatible with latest rails and supports internationalisation

E38118c6d20b4544e424fd700571e090?d=identicon&s=25 sreekanth.G (Guest)
hi radar

how to use tags using acts_as_taggable_on_steroids?
can u give any sample application if u know
7b488e1be2db29c8489d80d59818b17e?d=identicon&s=25 Jeffrey Lim (jfl)
on 2008-12-03 14:51
Ryan Bigg wrote:
> There is my project called rboard http://github.com/radar/rboard
> compatible with latest rails and supports internationalisation

cool! I realize there's a TODO.html in there. How updated is it? do u
have any plans for implementing a captcha for registration?
9a2a53db8e9b4476038c94a64b32833f?d=identicon&s=25 Ryan Bigg (ryan-bigg)
The TODO.html is not updated all that regularly since I'm the only one
working on the project, you'll find a lot of the features in the first
2 sections are done already.

I was considering implementing a captcha system for registrations at a
later date.
-----
Ryan Bigg
Freelancer