Forum: RSpec After a step fails, if successive steps have been executed and passed, cucumber reports them as skip

Ee6788c2faaad7a5cd0bc466c9ea60d8?d=identicon&s=25 aidy lewis (Guest)

I have a Given step that fails: For that Scenario the remaining
Given's, When, and Then's are reported as being skipped, even though
theses steps have been executed.

Why I am not submitting this to Lighthouse, is that I believe, this
may be intentional design.

However, would it not be more indicative to have these steps "pass"
for example, if the successive steps have executed and passed?

Aidy
On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 12:02 PM, aidy lewis <aidy.lewis@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> for example, if the successive steps have executed and passed?
This is absolutely by design. If a step passes or fails after another
has failed, you have no way of knowing if it would still pass or fail
once the other one is passing. Cucumber reports the first problem in a
scenario so you can fix that one and move on.

Cheers,
David
994e42bda994be2cd1d791f18ee6d561?d=identicon&s=25 Stephen Eley (Guest)
On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 12:07 PM, David Chelimsky <dchelimsky@gmail.com>
wrote:

> This is absolutely by design. If a step passes or fails after another
> has failed, you have no way of knowing if it would still pass or fail
> once the other one is passing. Cucumber reports the first problem in a
> scenario so you can fix that one and move on.

I'm curious: what's the logic behind it not just stopping there?

--
Have Fun,
   Steve Eley (sfeley@gmail.com)
> On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 12:07 PM, David Chelimsky <dchelimsky@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> This is absolutely by design. If a step passes or fails after another
>> has failed, you have no way of knowing if it would still pass or fail
>> once the other one is passing. Cucumber reports the first problem in a
>> scenario so you can fix that one and move on.
>
> I'm curious: what's the logic behind it not just stopping there?

Pending steps (post failure) are still reported as pending, so it
gives you a sense of where you are in process. Make sense?