Forum: Ruby on Rails Ruby application talking to Java application (IPC suggestions please)

6bf9328eef0afadd9c9d05334f8dd42b?d=identicon&s=25 Hubert Łępicki (Guest)
Hi all,

I'm wondering how can I make RoR application talk to Java application
running in background. Does anyone have any experience with this kind
of stuff? Anny suggestions welcome.

I am running Ruby on MRI, and Java application will run on the same
machine but in JVM.

Thanks,
H.
Hi Hubert,

Hubert Lepicki wrote:

> I'm wondering how can I make RoR application talk
> to Java application running in background.

Web Services; RESTFUL or otherwise.  Though you can do SOAP on Rails, I
recommend picking up "RESTful Web Services" by Leonard Richardson and
Sam
Ruby.

HTH,
Bill
D69d23d8e811e8ab2a8593380d6ede63?d=identicon&s=25 Jeff Emminger (jemminger)
+1 for restful web service, or perhaps run your rails app in jruby &
then you can make java calls from ruby.
6bf9328eef0afadd9c9d05334f8dd42b?d=identicon&s=25 Hubert Łępicki (Guest)

I went third route. I couldn't use web services as I was clearly told
not to use any Java web container. I also couldn't use jruby, as I am
dependent on some C++ libraries. Fortunately, there is nice library
Ruby Java Bridge (http://rjb.rubyforge.org/) that helped me get around
this issue and include my Java classes into project directly. Can't
say much about resources consumption/memory leaks or stability yet,
but all looks good for now.

Thanks,
H.