Forum: Ruby on Rails Chat Client integrated into Rails

39025a7f572d6fe464e1fe6be399ca3b?d=identicon&s=25 Mike Dershowitz (mdersh53)
Does anyone have any experience, used any software to integrate a chat
client into rails?  I want incoming users to a public site to be able
to chat with a set of represntatives on an intranet.  Thanks to the
community in advance!
On 27 Oct 2008, at 20:02, Miked wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience, used any software to integrate a chat
> client into rails?  I want incoming users to a public site to be able
> to chat with a set of represntatives on an intranet.  Thanks to the
> community in advance!

You'll have to write it yourself, but Juggernaut provides you with the
tools for realtime chat: http://juggernaut.rubyforge.org/ Don't know
if it still works with Flash 10 though.
Another way would be to use a setup like Campfire and periodically
poll the backend (using PeriodicalUpdater).

Best regards

Peter De Berdt
55d6457963d5be7ad341343105ddc8a3?d=identicon&s=25 Nathan Esquenazi (xgamerx)
on 2008-10-28 19:06
I second the use of Juggernaut and I believe it does work with Flash 10.
Juggernaut is a much much better solution than polling. You might also
want to look at shooting_star + meteor for a comet-based solution or
orbitd.
1eaf88725aac486f742ae64a8abe0f6c?d=identicon&s=25 Pilaf (Guest)
Take a look at this:

https://jabbify.com

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 4:06 PM, Nathan Esquenazi