Forum: Ruby on Rails IRB error message (dyld: NSLinkModule() error)

60eb5adb30c930ee7d575c7fc1793636?d=identicon&s=25 Cormac Moylan (cormacm)
on 2008-10-27 01:59
Hi folks,
I'm new to Rails. I picked up Simply Rails 2 by Patrick Lenz a few weeks
ago and I finally sat down to get stuck into it. I have Rails installed
on my iMac (OS X Leopard) and I can load up the Rails Welcome screen at
localhost:3000 without any issues.

My problem is with running IRB within Terminal.

If I try to run:
irb> 1

I receive the error:
dyld: NSLinkModule() error
dyld: Symbol not found: _rl_filename_completion_function
  Referenced from:
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/i686-darwin9.5.0/readline.bundle
  Expected in: flat namespace

Trace/BPT trap

I have no idea why this is appearing or how to fix it.

My setup is:
Ruby version  1.8.6 (i686-darwin9.5.0)
RubyGems version  1.3.0
Rails version  2.1.2
Active Record version  2.1.2
Action Pack version  2.1.2
Active Resource version  2.1.2
Action Mailer version  2.1.2
Active Support version  2.1.2
Application root  /Users/cormacmoylan/shovell
Environment  development
Database adapter  sqlite3
Database schema version  0

Thanks for any assistance in the matter.
C.
F9bdba6e1c8a28664e99e9c8caaa05bd?d=identicon&s=25 Ami (Guest)
hi
Excellent book by the way
Also highly reccomend railscasts.com

Now
Are you running from your site dir ./script/console ?

You are passing nothing meanningful to the console

Yes. 1 is a number but it has to follow some method like 1.class

Which will return >> fixnum

On Oct 26, 8:59 pm, Cormac Moylan <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>
60eb5adb30c930ee7d575c7fc1793636?d=identicon&s=25 Cormac Moylan (cormacm)
on 2008-10-27 17:47
Ami wrote:
> hi
> Excellent book by the way
> Also highly reccomend railscasts.com

Yeah, the book seems solid enough. Thanks for pointing out
trailscast.com too. Looks v.handy.

> Now
> Are you running from your site dir ./script/console ?
>
> You are passing nothing meanningful to the console
>
> Yes. 1 is a number but it has to follow some method like 1.class
>
> Which will return >> fixnum

I am running the irb> 1 command from a directory called shovell.
10cbedf17de437278e0eafd340022f2b?d=identicon&s=25 Jeff Frazier (jfraz)
on 2009-06-11 05:49
Cormac Moylan wrote:

Cormac, did you ever figure this out? I'm having the exact same problem.
Thanks! Jeff