Forum: RSpec Re: Testing item links in Webrat (was: Cucumber)

0be0e4aa42aacd9a8a95c792de273ca7?d=identicon&s=25 aslak hellesoy (Guest)
On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 11:30 PM, Mark Thomson <mark.thomson@ieee.org>
wrote:
> I have an index template that contains a tabulated list of database items,
> each of which has an associated "display" link that enables the item to be
> displayed via a "show" action. In Cucumber I know how to test that the show
> template is rendered when one of those links is clicked using webrat's
> "click_link" method and response.should render_template.

This is a Webrat question - not a Cucumber question.

> What I'm not sure about is whether it's possible to specify that a
> particular link gets clicked, since there are multiple links on the page
> with the same text. I'd like to be able to test that the particular database

Use the #clicks_link_within method in Webrat.

Aslak
07dd367bcc4ae602d640ec8c1b280df6?d=identicon&s=25 Mark Thomson (Guest)
aslak hellesoy wrote:
> This is a Webrat question - not a Cucumber question.

Only if you know the answer :-)

>> What I'm not sure about is whether it's possible to specify that a
>> particular link gets clicked, since there are multiple links on the page
>> with the same text. I'd like to be able to test that the particular database
>>

> Use the #clicks_link_within method in Webrat.
>
> Aslak

Thanks Aslak. You've made me realize I have been looking at an old
version of the documentation, here:
http://www.brynary.com/uploads/webrat/rdoc/index.html. So I didn't
realize there was a click_links_within method. Google has just led me
here: http://webrat.rubyforge.org/.

Mark.
57e939ff00f9df2670a09f417c08da5e?d=identicon&s=25 Josh Knowles (Guest)
On 10/26/08, Mark Thomson <mark.thomson@ieee.org> wrote:

> Google has just led me here: http://webrat.rubyforge.org/.

Please make sure you view http://github.com/brynary/webrat/tree/master
for the latest code as things change much faster they they get pushed
up to RubyForge.

--
Josh Knowles
phone: 509-979-1593
Josh Knowles wrote:
> On 10/26/08, Mark Thomson <mark.thomson@ieee.org> wrote:
>

>> Google has just led me here: http://webrat.rubyforge.org/.
>>

> Please make sure you view http://github.com/brynary/webrat/tree/master
> for the latest code as things change much faster they they get pushed
> up to RubyForge.

Thanks, although note that that also leads back to the old
documentation.
On 27 Oct 2008, at 00:01, Mark Thomson wrote:
> . So I didn't realize there was a click_links_within method. Google
> has just led me here: http://webrat.rubyforge.org/.

The webrat code is very simple and readable IMO, even for a ruby
newbie like me. When I'm wondering how to do something, I usually just
open the source.

I think there's also a #within call which takes a block, so you might
be able to do something like.

within :div_for_object_123 do
  clicks_link 'Follow Me'
end

This is based on a conversation I heard over the other side of the
desk, so take it with a pinch of salt ;)

cheers,
Matt