Forum: Ruby on Rails connecting to mysql on locomotive

944865994724c43477e819aab685fa1b?d=identicon&s=25 Tim (Guest)
Hi, I am having trouble connecting to mysql on a locomotive
installation.  Everything is working fine through my rails application
(it is able to read the database via the database.yml configuration),
but when I try to connect through mysql Administrator or some other
GUI type tool, it says the following error.

Connection error.  Could not connect to MySQL instance on localhost.
Error: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/
mysql.sock' (2) (code 2002).

I tried to find the .sock file but I am not sure where to find it in
the locomotive installation so that I can map to it.

Thanks,
Tim
On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 12:37 PM, Tim <timdholmes@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I am having trouble connecting to mysql on a locomotive
> installation.  Everything is working fine through my rails application
> (it is able to read the database via the database.yml configuration),
> but when I try to connect through mysql Administrator or some other
> GUI type tool, it says the following error.

> I tried to find the .sock file but I am not sure where to find it in
> the locomotive installation so that I can map to it.

I have no idea what 'locomotive' is but if the database.yml file has the
correct connection information, why don't you look at what it says??
At least in all my MySQL-based Rails apps, that includes the socket
path...

HTH,
Locomotive is (was) a one-click installer for Osx that includes Ruby +
MySQL + Rails + other fancy stuff. It is no longer maintained, and
therefore should not be used anymore.
991b8de70c5edb062ddfe8cd9b59277e?d=identicon&s=25 Maximilian Schulz (namxam)
Have you tried connecting to your server by address and port instead
of using the mysql.sock file? I am not sure if Locomotive was
configured to allow connection via the socket.