Forum: Ruby [ANN] Sipper 1.1.3 Released

9aafe2636a115bbdc137c93445054f22?d=identicon&s=25 Nasir Khan (Guest)
1.1.3 of SIPr pronounced as Sipper has been released earlier this month.

http://sipr.agnity.com  or http://rubyforge.org/projects/sipper/

SIPr is complete SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) stack written in Ruby
(with some C++ for media / RTP handling).
SIP is most widely used protocol for VoIP telephony and is similar to
HTTP
in structure.
SIPr is a SIP application testing framework wherein users can write
their
test cases that wrap SIP controllers that manage SIP call flow.

The SIPr architecture and API draws inspiration from Rails web stack,
though
diverges somewhat, as the SIP protocol is a lot of different in purpose
and
usage from HTTP. However, the underlying idea is the same, that of
simplicity, minimum configuration and complete control by the user.

== Highlights ==
 * A complete SIP Application testing framework suited for feature,
interop,
regression, acceptance and field simulation
 * An application server style programmable stack
 * Stack that is malleable and configurable
 * Ability to create, modify, re-use, compose, re-order the tests
 * Simple but powerful API to write new complex tests
 * Reporting and Statistics
 * Automated and with hooks to existing automation

== Value Proposition ==
 * Simulate SIP endpoints, in the form of SIP test cases for any SIP
call
flow
 * Simulate SIP servers like B2BUA, Redirect server, Registrar, Proxy,
IMS
entities etc.
 * Create test cases by using helper scripts, scripting and also
trace/capture based automatic generation
 * Complete SIP Signaling and basic media support
 * SIP and HTTP integration, write tests that exercise converged
applications including Web2.0 mashups
 * Regression testing with automated scripts, cron or trigger based

Best

Discuss at http://groups.google.com/group/sipper
On Oct 24, 2008, at 14:03 , Nasir Khan wrote:

> 1.1.3 of SIPr pronounced as Sipper has been released earlier this
> month.

please don't post these to ruby-core. ruby-talk is appropriate, ruby-
core is not.
19fdf8bd123216b5056fb856cf1a5771?d=identicon&s=25 _why (Guest)
On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 06:09:42AM +0900, Ryan Davis wrote:
> please don't post these to ruby-core. ruby-talk is appropriate, ruby-core
> is not.

Whenever Ryan does this, it's like citizen's arrest.

_why
_why wrote:
> Whenever Ryan does this, it's like citizen's arrest.

Whenever _why does this, it's like marshmallows falling from Mars.
9aafe2636a115bbdc137c93445054f22?d=identicon&s=25 Nasir Khan (Guest)
Well to be absolutely honest I did not just drop this mail to this list
frivolously.

IMHO this package was not completely off-limits to core, but I guess
Ryan
disagreed even after reading the content

Just as we have Net::HTTP, Net::IMAP etc we *could* have Net::SIP. SIP
as
you may know is the RFC 3261.
Sipper today is more like Rails for SIP (which is structurally similar
HTTP), but I have written a base SIP stack which *can* potentailly
*overtime* be looked at for Net::SIP *if* any interest in the community,
thats all.

In any case I will *never ever again* post these mails to core at the
risk
of being arrested, I value my freedom ;-)

regards