Forum: GNU Radio find not working with USRP2

F5bfef6491eb470d3e97765824fb3939?d=identicon&s=25 Hariharan Rahul (Guest)

I am attempting to use the new USRP2 units connected to a Ubuntu (Hardy
8.04) PC via GigE.

I have followed the installation instructions here
(http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/UbuntuInstall) to install all the
required software, and installed GNU Radio. However, when I then run
"find_usrps" as directed in http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/USRP2UserFAQ,
I repeatedly get a "No USRP2 found" message.

I have swapped out the ethernet cables as well as tried out both the
USRP2 units I have, but the behavior is consistent. The green light
inside the USRP2 box on the ethernet interface is glowing (but not
flashing), but the lights on the USRP2 ethernet interface outside the
box are not up at all.

I have looked at the find code, and it seems to look for a broadcast
reply from the USRP2 ethernet interface. Is there some code I need to
install on the FPGA for the ethernet interface to respond, or is there
some other stuff I need to do to get this to work?

Any replies and suggestions will be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Rahul
On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 03:56:14PM -0400, Hariharan Rahul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am attempting to use the new USRP2 units connected to a Ubuntu (Hardy
> 8.04) PC via GigE.
>
> I have followed the installation instructions here
> (http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/UbuntuInstall) to install all the
> required software, and installed GNU Radio. However, when I then run
> "find_usrps" as directed in http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/USRP2UserFAQ,
> I repeatedly get a "No USRP2 found" message.

Is it printing out anything else, particularly anything about
usrp2_socket_opener?

Eric
F5bfef6491eb470d3e97765824fb3939?d=identicon&s=25 Hariharan Rahul (Guest)
It did the first time I ran it, and I fixed the chown and chmod on the
binary. Now, all it does is print "No USRP2 found".

Rahul
Tim Newman wrote:
> Silly question but did you make sure the SD card is secured in the SD memory
> slot?

Actually, you hit the nail on the head! I was not aware that the SD card
even needed to be plugged in for the USRP2 to work, because I figured
the bootstrapping code for the ethernet was in an EEPROM or some
on-board non volatile memory. I figured the SD card was only necessary
if I wanted to load my own personal custom code on the FPGA.

I just plugged the SD card in and everything works like a charm.

Thanks!
Rahul