Forum: Ruby flog 1.2.0 Released

flog version 1.2.0 has been released!

* <http://ruby.sadi.st/>
* <http://rubyforge.org/projects/seattlerb>

Flog reports the most tortured code in an easy to read pain
report. The higher the score, the more pain the code is in.

Changes:

### 1.2.0 / 2008-10-22

* 14 minor enhancements:

   * Added -c flag to continue dispite errors.
   * Added -m to only report code in methods (skips #none).
   * Added -n flag to give NO method details (summary only)
   * Added -n to skip method details... pussies should learn grep.
   * Added -q to quiet method details (total per method only)
   * Added avg & stddev to total.
   * Added avg score per method to report.
   * Added lots of doco from contributors (hugh sasse?).
   * Fixed class names when const2/3.
   * Fixed unified ruby changes
   * Refactored flog with help from flay.
   * Refactored get_source_index
   * Refactored into gem_updater.rb and cleaned up.
   * Works with new incremental rubygems, albiet slower than before.

* <http://ruby.sadi.st/>
* <http://rubyforge.org/projects/seattlerb>
457cf540784a12ba2f30e06565a2c189?d=identicon&s=25 Hugh Sasse (Guest)
On Thu, 23 Oct 2008, Ryan Davis wrote:

> flog version 1.2.0 has been released!
        [...]
> ### 1.2.0 / 2008-10-22
>
> * 14 minor enhancements:
        [...]
>   * Added lots of doco from contributors (hugh sasse?).

Not sure if it was me this time, I'd have to see a diff.  It's a while
now....

        "hugh sasse".split(/\s/).map{|x|x.capitalize}.join(" ") # :-)
A44d5abad6e86cff4e34d9f0839535c9?d=identicon&s=25 Rick Bradley (Guest)
On Oct 22, 11:53 pm, Ryan Davis <ryand-r...@zenspider.com> wrote:
> flog version 1.2.0 has been released!

Ryan,
Thanks for your continuing hard work on flog -- it is a great tool.

I wanted to remind you (or anyone interested in the material) that a
fork of flog with a significant test suite and some  refactorings
exists on github here:

  http://github.com/flogic/flame

I note that there still exists no test suite for the main release of
flog and none of the readability, testability, or quality refactorings
from flame were picked up for 1.2.0.

There is also documentation of the characterization and refactoring
process I applied to flog by way of an hour-long presentation at the
Ruby Hoedown this fall.  Video of that presentation can be found
online here (many thanks to confreaks for their continuing good
works):

  http://rubyhoedown2008.confreaks.com/11-rick-bradl...

My keynote slides (including all history) for that talk are all on
github, here:

  http://github.com/rick/hoedown-2008/tree/master

There also exists for download a package of snapshots of every commit
in the refactoring process, including commit diffs, commit logs, full
code trees, rcov and flog stats after every commit, and with commit
hashes associated with the flame project commits on the github repo
linked above.  That tarball can be downloaded, for those wishing to
review, study, or audit the refactoring, here:

  http://www.rickbradley.com/misc/flog-snapshot.tar.gz

All of this is free for reuse, mangling, heckling (in the conventional
sense of the word), etc., with no strings attached.

My hope here is that noone need wind up at the point I reached last
spring:  attempting to do work to improve flog and realizing that flog
had no tests, and hence couldn't reliably be developed further by
other than its original author.

Rather than work further without tests I built and have donated a
comprehensive test suite and the necessary refactorings to make the
suite possible and the code readable.

I don't aspire to become a maintainer of flog, much less "that other
guy who maintains the version of flog that has tests", but would
rather see my donated work help the mainstream version of flog in
whatever way is easiest.

Thanks again, and best wishes,
Rick
4dea430d31b993abaf41cd9b54f8128d?d=identicon&s=25 Avdi Grimm (avdi)
On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 12:31 PM, Rick Bradley <rick@rickbradley.com>
wrote:
> There is also documentation of the characterization and refactoring
> process I applied to flog by way of an hour-long presentation at the
> Ruby Hoedown this fall.  Video of that presentation can be found
> online here (many thanks to confreaks for their continuing good
> works):
>
>  http://rubyhoedown2008.confreaks.com/11-rick-bradl...

I'll just note that I watched this video and it's a good talk on the
under-discussed process of getting existing code under test.  Thanks
Rick.

--
Avdi

Home: http://avdi.org
Twitter: http://twitter.com/avdi
Journal: http://avdi.livejournal.com
1389520a4eaa3d3e4523a76139e8f2e6?d=identicon&s=25 Ryan Davis (Guest)
On Oct 23, 2008, at 11:31 , Rick Bradley wrote:

> On Oct 22, 11:53 pm, Ryan Davis <ryand-r...@zenspider.com> wrote:
>> flog version 1.2.0 has been released!
>
> Thanks for your continuing hard work on flog -- it is a great tool.
>
> I wanted to remind you (or anyone interested in the material) that a
> fork of flog with a significant test suite and some  refactorings
> exists on github here:

I'm jumping on this right now, I'll have it off your hands in a few
hours. Thank you very much Rick. I appreciate it.