Forum: JRuby Simple JRuby app on application server

4a72bb2b2e6831599b6a0864dae69bb1?d=identicon&s=25 Martijn S (Guest)

I have a simple non-web-based JRuby app (a JMS consumer) that I would
like
to run alongside a Rails app which is deployed on Glassfish. I'm just
learning the whole Java EE thing, so my question is: Is it possible to
deploy applications like this on Glassfish? The application should be
started with the domain and can be left alone after that. I don't even
really care about loggin. Is there a guide on how to do this somewhere,
if
possible?

Thanks,
Martijn
I haven't found an online howto yet, but Ola Binis 'JRuby on Rails' book
has a chapter on talking to JMS JRuby on Glassfish.

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 6:01 PM, Martijn S <martijn@bluerail.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a simple non-web-based JRuby app (a JMS consumer) that I would like
> to run alongside a Rails app which is deployed on Glassfish. I'm just
> learning the whole Java EE thing, so my question is: Is it possible to
> deploy applications like this on Glassfish? The application should be
> started with the domain and can be left alone after that. I don't even
> really care about loggin. Is there a guide on how to do this somewhere, if
> possible?

Thanks for the tip, I should check out that book.

In the meantime, I've decided to bite the bullet and write a Message
driven
bean in pure Java, as the actions in response to the message are very
basic.
It was actually surprisingly simple.

I really love how JRuby allows me to sprinkle all kinds of Java (EE)
magic
on my Rails apps. Leveraging technologies like JMS makes the application
feel very mature and using JFreeChart instead of Gruff+RMagick makes
deploying the application a lot easier.

However, it still would be cool to write EJBs in Ruby. If i figure it
out,
I'll let the world know :)

Dick Davies wrote:
>> to run alongside a Rails app which is deployed on Glassfish. I'm just
>> learning the whole Java EE thing, so my question is: Is it possible to
>> deploy applications like this on Glassfish? The application should be
>> started with the domain and can be left alone after that. I don't even
>> really care about loggin. Is there a guide on how to do this somewhere,
>> if
>> possible?

Hi Martijn,

If an application is deployed to any domain in GlassFish, it
starts/stops with the domain. That is true for web-based or
non-web-based apps. You only need to deploy the application as:

asadmin deploy APP.ear or APP.war

Does that help ?

-Arun

--
Application Platform, Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Blog: http://blogs.sun.com/arungupta

Just want to add, although obvious to others, the non-web-based app may
probably need a Servlet packaged in the WAR or EAR to start it.

--
Regards

Gabe Wong
cloudAPPy