Forum: Ruby on Rails Doubt in web space Allocation

615890fb6fa7ab9b5f04cb11a54e38f8?d=identicon&s=25 dark2imperial (Guest)
Suppose there is a social networking site for uploading and sharing
videos developed in rails. It has subscription packages like Free - 1
gb, Pro - 5 gb and Plus - 10 gb. How do they allocate the space for a
particular user for a particular subscription package automatically?

Thank you
D188e591eac11021329b8821a5f954c7?d=identicon&s=25 Ar Chron (railsdog)
on 2008-10-22 14:56
They probably don't so much pre-allocate space as monitor how much a
user is using.

Putting accounts into size bins lets the vendor determine their capacity
measures, and when it's time to expand their back-end storage to ensure
space availability.
Ar Chron wrote:
> They probably don't so much pre-allocate space as monitor how much a
> user is using.
>
> Putting accounts into size bins lets the vendor determine their capacity
> measures, and when it's time to expand their back-end storage to ensure
> space availability.
> --

Thank you for your reply. Are there any methods to monitor the web
space usage through Rails using some gems or plugins?
D188e591eac11021329b8821a5f954c7?d=identicon&s=25 Ar Chron (railsdog)
on 2008-10-22 15:30
dark2imperial wrote:

> Thank you for your reply. Are there any methods to monitor the web
> space usage through Rails using some gems or plugins?

Not that I know of, but I'd think that you really only need a space_used
attribute on the account, and methods to increment or decrement the
account's usage on the upload or deletion of a file/video.