Forum: Ruby on Rails Modularisation: Using helper generating HTML output vs. using partials

6f3f4fcb842db4b755cd8adc8bca67c6?d=identicon&s=25 ms (Guest)
Hey,

I've got a general question: when do I use helper and when I do use
partials to modularise certain gui elements?

For example: I've got a faq list. Each item can be folded and unfolded
using ajax.

FAQ foo
-> question 1
-> question 2
-> question 3

So, I wrote a helper "faq_li_tag(args)" which takes the question and
answer for parameters and generates the HTML output.

But I also could have made a partial which creates the corresponding
output.

What's the best solution? What are the criterias for this decision in
general?

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
ms
8217faf2bfdfa7daf10135d41ddd421e?d=identicon&s=25 Jeff Cohen (jeff)
On Oct 16, 9:22 am, ms <m...@tzi.de> wrote:
> -> question 2
>
> Thank you very much!
>
> Best regards,
> ms

I use partials to factor out view templates to make them more
readable, and so that I can reuse portions of a view in other
templates.

I use helpers whenever view logic is starting to get intertwined with
the view code.  So presentation-only code is in the views/partials,
and any logic (is this user an admin? should they see a sidebar now?
etc.) goes into helpers.

Jeff

purpleworkshops.com
softiesonrails.com