Forum: Ferret acts_as_ferret and indexes created with ferret

D308ee3291656857f4f4bbc4e23cfc66?d=identicon&s=25 Amazouz Loui (lyes)
Hello List!

I've have created an index using a Rerret based application, and may aim
is
to create a Ruby Rails Web application that will allows to search using
my

I tried yo use the acts_as_ferret plugin for Rails, but when I have read
the
tutorials, it seemed to mes that acts_as_ferret allows only to index the
Ruby Rails web application data stired in it's data base, and helps to
operate researches using the created index.

But I really wonder if acts_as_ferret may allow to load an external
already
created index (Like the index I've created with my application) in order
use the acts_as_ferret technology to make researches on it and display
the
results using a Ruby Rails application!

Is this possible, if not, have any one any idea!

thank you!
C9dd93aa135988cabf9183d3210665ca?d=identicon&s=25 Jens Krämer (Guest)
Hi!

On 16.10.2008, at 16:01, Lyes Amazouz wrote:
> But I really wonder if acts_as_ferret may allow to load an external
> already created index (Like the index I've created with my
> application) in order to use the acts_as_ferret technology to make
> researches on it and display the results using a Ruby Rails
> application!
>
> Is this possible, if not, have any one any idea!

If you don't plan to modify the ferret index from inside your Rails
application, the easiest way is to use Ferret's API directly for
querying your index. Acts_as_ferret won't be of much help in your
case, since it's focus is to keep an index in sync with a database
that is accessed via active record.

Cheers,
Jens

--
Jens Krämer
webit! Gesellschaft für neue Medien mbH

Amtsgericht Dresden | HRB 15422
GF Sven Haubold
On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 3:13 PM, Jens Krämer <kraemer@webit.de> wrote:

>> the tutorials, it seemed to mes that acts_as_ferret allows only to index the
>
> If you don't plan to modify the ferret index from inside your Rails
> application, the easiest way is to use Ferret's API directly for querying
> your index. Acts_as_ferret won't be of much help in your case, since it's
> focus is to keep an index in sync with a database that is accessed via
> active record.

Hello Jens!

Thank you for your reply, now it is more clear for me!

But is there some to use the acts_as_ferret features (Like paginating
and
Highlighting) when I will display the results of my researche!

for example, When I make a search on my index with ferret API, is it
possible that I give acts_as_ferret the resulting topDocs object or the
list
of the hits to acts_as_ferret in such way that in the web page, this
list
will be paginated and the key words higlighted!

Thanks