Forum: Ruby on Rails ActiveRecord and null string in Oracle

Aeac27d9f81191536d3c86ee825d71b2?d=identicon&s=25 Don Mc (dmcclean)
When an empty string is stored in Oracle, it is converted to a null.
When I retrieve it with rails, I get a nil object.

I would like to modify my Rails model to return an empty string
instead of
null for that attribute, instead of modifying code in multiple places.
Is
that easily doable? I tried an alias, but that did not work.

Thanks in Advance,
Don Mc
519d971b4225781ff523082fff137f31?d=identicon&s=25 mahmoud said (Guest)
U can use a simple new method to return attribute.to_s    (nil.to_s
returns
a blank string)

I don't think there is a direct way to read a nil value from the
database in
an attribute.. and then directly expecting the attribute value to be a
blank
string.

If null doesn't mean anything to u, U can simply modify the database
column
to not accept null values and make the default blank string.  Not sure
if
that works with oracle but i would have tried it.

Good luck

--
Mahmoud Said
Software Developer