Forum: Ruby on Rails Single Rails App - Several Subdomains

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
99d49490f20f4d57daa6ec1339ea3b41?d=identicon&s=25 gamehack (Guest)
on 2008-10-12 17:48
(Received via mailing list)
Hi all,

I am in a situation that I have no idea how to approach. Basically,
I've got a licensing app that is distributed across several domains,
as in:
admin.example.com
licenses.example.com
secure.example.com
paypal.example.com
...

Ideally, I would like to be able to setup routing on a subdomain basis
but this is not possible with Rails* (I saw some results on Google
about people trying to do this but none of the solutions were
completely working in a integrated fashion throughout the whole
framework)

I also looked around at other frameworks but I didn't find one which
handled this sort of situations properly. The other option I was
thinking about was using the same model objects in different apps for
each subdomain but I'm not sure whether this is the right way handle
this sort of thing. Any tips on how to approach the problem are
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
M

* Correct me if I'm wrong
Bee69cfed999cd13e3bff73d472a39ee?d=identicon&s=25 Hassan Schroeder (Guest)
on 2008-10-12 18:15
(Received via mailing list)
On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 8:48 AM, gamehack <gamehack@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've got a licensing app that is distributed across several domains,
> as in:
> admin.example.com
> licenses.example.com
> secure.example.com
> paypal.example.com

> Ideally, I would like to be able to setup routing on a subdomain basis
...
> thinking about was using the same model objects in different apps for
> each subdomain

It's not clear to me what you're trying to achieve -- how would the
response to a request for `secure.example.com/foo` differ from the
request for `paypal.example.com/foo`, for instance?

Or to put it another way, *can* these subdomains operate logically
as uncoupled applications, or are they more `example.com/paypal/`
and `example.com/secure/`?

If you do need them all serviced by one app, fronting it with Apache
httpd with mod_rewrite would probably take care of it.

HTH,
--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder@gmail.com
99d49490f20f4d57daa6ec1339ea3b41?d=identicon&s=25 gamehack (Guest)
on 2008-10-12 18:42
(Received via mailing list)
On Oct 12, 5:14 pm, "Hassan Schroeder" <hassan.schroe...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > each subdomain
>
> It's not clear to me what you're trying to achieve -- how would the
> response to a request for `secure.example.com/foo` differ from the
> request for `paypal.example.com/foo`, for instance?
>

Their URLs would form an empty intersection but secure.example.com
would map '' to the StoreController while admin.example.com would map
'' to the AdminController.

> Or to put it another way, *can* these subdomains operate logically
> as uncoupled applications, or are they more `example.com/paypal/`
> and `example.com/secure/`?
>

They can work as example.com/secure/ and example.com/paypal/ etc. I'm
not sure if that matters but secure.example.com would have to go
through SSL.

> If you do need them all serviced by one app, fronting it with Apache
> httpd with mod_rewrite would probably take care of it.

That brings up the question on how to handle URL generation, since a
URL for the admin controller would have to generate admin.example.com
instead of example.com/admin.

Thanks,
M
Bee69cfed999cd13e3bff73d472a39ee?d=identicon&s=25 Hassan Schroeder (Guest)
on 2008-10-12 19:15
(Received via mailing list)
On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 9:41 AM, gamehack <gamehack@gmail.com> wrote:

>> If you do need them all serviced by one app, fronting it with Apache
>> httpd with mod_rewrite would probably take care of it.

I'd still consider whether multiple loosely coupled apps would be
suitable, even desirable -- but in any case...

> That brings up the question on how to handle URL generation, since a
> URL for the admin controller would have to generate admin.example.com
> instead of example.com/admin.

True. Again, if you're willing to stick with Apache httpd, mod_filter or
mod_substitute might be appropriate (rewrite the outbound URLs ).

But generating them directly would obviously be preferable. Time to
go experiment a bit  :-)

FWIW,

H*
--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder@gmail.com
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.