Forum: Ruby on Rails Plugin Installation Help

342cd2455e6da0bebfbad56fc53864c8?d=identicon&s=25 Jaus LXXIV (Guest)
I need to install the classic_pagination plugin for reasons I'd rather
not go into. However, when I run

ruby script/plugin install
svn://errtheblog.com/svn/plugins/classic_pagination

there is no output (none at all), and it doesn't install the plugin,
or do anything else as far as I can tell. I even tried installing
will_paginate instead, but the same thing happens. Any help? This is a
real bottleneck on my project.

Thanks in advance.
On Oct 11, 4:40 pm, Jaus LXXIV <jauslx...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I need to install the classic_pagination plugin for reasons I'd rather
> not go into. However, when I run
>
> ruby script/plugin install svn://errtheblog.com/svn/plugins/classic_pagination

Do you have the svn command line client installed (ie if you just type
svn at a command line prompt does it run?)

Fred
342cd2455e6da0bebfbad56fc53864c8?d=identicon&s=25 Jaus LXXIV (Guest)
> Do you have the svn command line client installed (ie if you just type
> svn at a command line prompt does it run?)
>
> Fred

No, I don't. Can you give me a link where I can download it? Thanks
again.

James
On Oct 12, 1:09 am, Jaus LXXIV <jauslx...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Do you have the svn command line client installed (ie if you just type
> > svn at a command line prompt does it run?)
>
> > Fred
>
> No, I don't. Can you give me a link where I can download it? Thanks
> again.

it's the first hit if you google for svn.

Fred
342cd2455e6da0bebfbad56fc53864c8?d=identicon&s=25 Jaus LXXIV (Guest)
So I downloaded two different versions of the svn client and I still
can't install the plugin. This is getting kind of annoying because I
was able to install auto_complete with no problem. Also, I'm going to
have to get this rails code running on my employer's computer and I
don't really want to make him install a program he's only going to use
to install a single plugin. Is there an easier way to have classic
pagination (as in without installing svn), or is there something
really obvious that I'm missing?

Thanks.

On Oct 11, 8:41 pm, Frederick Cheung <frederick.che...@gmail.com>
On Oct 12, 8:30 pm, Jaus LXXIV <jauslx...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So I downloaded two different versions of the svn client and I still
> can't install the plugin. This is getting kind of annoying because I
> was able to install auto_complete with no problem. Also, I'm going to
> have to get this rails code running on my employer's computer and I
> don't really want to make him install a program he's only going to use
> to install a single plugin. Is there an easier way to have classic
> pagination (as in without installing svn), or is there something
> really obvious that I'm missing?

script/plugin just copies the plugin from wherever it is to vendor/
plugins (and runs install.rb if it's there, this is not very common).
If you can grab the files from somewhere else you can just copy them
in.
I can't check out code from that url either (svn: Can't connect to
host 'errtheblog.com': Connection refused) so it may just be
unavailable right now.

Once you've got the plugin in your app you don't need svn

Fred
342cd2455e6da0bebfbad56fc53864c8?d=identicon&s=25 Jaus LXXIV (Guest)
Alright, I installed an older version of Rails and copied
pagination.rb from

C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\actionpack-1.13.3\lib\action_controller

and pasted it in

C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\actionpack-2.0.1\lib\action_controller

but I still get "undefined method paginate" when I try to display the
page. Are there some other files I need to copy/settings I need to
change? The app is running Rails 2.0.1, by the way.
Again, thanks for all your help on this.

James

On Oct 12, 4:44 pm, Frederick Cheung <frederick.che...@gmail.com>
On Oct 14, 6:45 am, Jaus LXXIV <jauslx...@gmail.com> wrote:
> page. Are there some other files I need to copy/settings I need to
> change? The app is running Rails 2.0.1, by the way.
> Again, thanks for all your help on this.

yes. For starters you would need to modify actioncontroller.rb (which
is the thing that loads the various bits of action controller). There
seems to be a copy of classic_pagination at
http://github.com/masterkain/classic_pagination/tree/master too.

Fred