Forum: Ruby on Rails Rails does not see installed gem in production.

7b9848f7452ca6a1f681e68370577b1c?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Chow (nanostuff)
on 2008-10-11 00:31
Everything works like a charm locally, but running in production
(Dreamhost shared with Passenger if it matters), "These gems that this
application depends on are missing \n -rmagick"

Rmagick is installed on dreamhost, but I have also copied the gem into
the vendor directory, so it's not even found within it's local files.
I'm using config.gem 'rmagick', which works locally, but I can't imagine
how this could be a dreamhost issue since the gem sits inside vendor. On
the other hand I can't imagine how this could be a production specific
problem either, so as you can see I am lost :)
2505b282d57c29be797dc35b245adb4c?d=identicon&s=25 Philip Hallstrom (Guest)
> the other hand I can't imagine how this could be a production specific
> problem either, so as you can see I am lost :)

Rmagick has native extensions right?  Maybe you need...

rake gems:build                # Build any native extensions for
unpacked gems

?

-philip
7b9848f7452ca6a1f681e68370577b1c?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Chow (nanostuff)
on 2008-10-11 02:23
> Rmagick has native extensions right?  Maybe you need...
>
> rake gems:build                # Build any native extensions for
> unpacked gems
>
> ?
>
> -philip

I didn't even consider that. I know there are separate windows and linux
versions and I did vendorize the right one.

When I run "rake gems:build", it exits without a whisper. No errors but
maybe not much else either. It didn't help though.

When I try gem install rmagick --install-dir=/home/<user>/gems it throws
"Failed to build gem native extension".

Below that there's also

"Can't find Magick-config in
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games"

I have absolutely no idea what it's trying to do and why in that
directory

Messy, but I don't think even this is the source of my problem.
Presumably dreamhost's own rmagick install is functioning correctly, but
when I clear it from vendor it still doesn't manage to find the native
install.
7b9848f7452ca6a1f681e68370577b1c?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Chow (nanostuff)
on 2008-10-11 02:41
Wow, just got it going.

replaced config.gem 'rmagick' with

require 'rubygems'
gem 'rmagick'
require 'rmagick'

Old fashioned did the trick. Don't know why, don't care, I need to get
some rest.

Thanks.