Forum: Ruby on Rails :find conditions using hour value of saved DateTime object

F677fa685a2cfe8aff31f161062db3d3?d=identicon&s=25 David (Guest)
I am wondering if it is possible to use a find condition to find
objects according to the hour, ignoring the date.  For example, i have
a date field storing DateTime objects in the database and I want to
find all objects where the hour is between the times 2:00PM and 4:00PM
regardless of their date.  It seems that to do this, ActiveRecord
would have to perform an operation on each DateTime to find the hour,
such as:

find(:all, :conditions => ["date.hour >= ? AND date.hour <= ?",
2:00PM, 4:00PM])

I know this does not work, but it helps to convey my goal.  Maybe I
have to write a raw SQL condition?  Maybe it is easier to just save
the time values in a separate field for each object in the database in
the firstplace?  I know saves are expensive and was trying to avoid
them.
A91bd6cef23eb3516245a092e196c4da?d=identicon&s=25 Maurício Linhares (mauricio)
Ideally, you should save this in separate columns, as this query is
definitely going to kill your database (there's no way to make an
index for it, the database will have to go through all rows), but you
could do it like this if you're using MySQL:

find(:all, :conditions => ["HOUR( date ) >= ? AND HOUR( date ) <= ?", 2,
4])

--
Maurício Linhares
(en)