Forum: Mongrel mongrel_service problems

9d4960f8319664f0f7896230eebace73?d=identicon&s=25 Glen Holcomb (Guest)
I have installed mongrel_service and created a service instance with the
-l
flag and the -B flag but I still don't get any useful feedback.

When trying to connect to my server via Apache I get a 503 error and
when
connecting directly (http://127.0.0.1:3000) I get a timeout.

The files.log just has a list of log files in it for each request and
the
rest of the log files have nothing but lines saying TRACING but nothing
that
looks like info to me.

The log file I specified in the -l flag isn't appearing.  I've tried
giving
the full path and file name and I've tried a relative path
"log/mongrel_service.log"

What am I doing wrong?

-Glen

--
"Hey brother Christian with your high and mighty errand, Your actions
speak

-Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)
E7cff3cfd41c495e1012227d7dc24202?d=identicon&s=25 Luis Lavena (luislavena)
> The log file I specified in the -l flag isn't appearing.  I've tried giving
> the full path and file name and I've tried a relative path
> "log/mongrel_service.log"
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Right now mongrel_service has a huge drawback: it doesn't let you log
to different files.

Blame me, blame the no argument parsing of the redirected terminals :-P

Did you tried executing your application with mongrel_rails standalone
instead of the service first?

Also, you can "mimic" what the service does from the terminal, asi
described previous in several threads in this list (search google for
mongrel_service debug console).

Here some pointer:

http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/mongrel-users/2007-...

I should definitely collect a list of that stuff and make a blog post
:-P

--
Luis Lavena
AREA 17
wrote:

> that
> Right now mongrel_service has a huge drawback: it doesn't let you log
>
> Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from
> the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent
> disinclination to do so.
> Douglas Adams

Thanks for the suggestion running mongrel_rails on it's own led me
straight
to the problem.

--
"Hey brother Christian with your high and mighty errand, Your actions
speak

-Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)
E7cff3cfd41c495e1012227d7dc24202?d=identicon&s=25 Luis Lavena (luislavena)
> On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 8:30 PM, Luis Lavena <luislavena@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the suggestion running mongrel_rails on it's own led me straight
> to the problem.

Could you please post your findings? Google will help others facing
the same situation

Thank you
--
Luis Lavena
AREA 17
wrote:

> the same situation

The problem was that I had Mongrel 1.0.1 and 1.1.5 installed.
Apparently
mongrel_rails was getting confused.  I uninstalled 1.0.1 and everything
worked fine.