Forum: RSpec ArgumentError in "is a pending example" - block not supplied

We have a few unfinished examples in our code of the form

  it "should and does do something" do
    # stuff
  end

  it "should do something someday"

  it "should and does do something else" do
    # more stuff
  end

Now since I upgraded my gem to rspec 1.8 today, the empty example is
failing with the error ArgumentError in "should do something someday":
block not supplied

Is this by design?

What's the recommended way to deal with these pending examples? write
a block and call pending within it?

cheers,
Matt
On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Matt Wynne <matt@mattwynne.net> wrote:
>        end
>
> Now since I upgraded my gem to rspec 1.8 today, the empty example is failing
> with the error ArgumentError in "should do something someday": block not
> supplied
>
> Is this by design?

Absolutely not, though I am not having the same experience (blockless
examples are correctly reported as pending).

> What's the recommended way to deal with these pending examples? write a
> block and call pending within it?

That's how we used to do it before rspec started treating blockless
examples as pending. It will band-aid your problem so you can
progress. But what you're experiencing is not what is expected, nor am
I able to reproduce it.

Is this a rails app? Are you mixing gems and plugins perchance?
On 9 Oct 2008, at 01:18, David Chelimsky wrote:

>> What's the recommended way to deal with these pending examples?
>> write a
>> block and call pending within it?
>
> That's how we used to do it before rspec started treating blockless
> examples as pending. It will band-aid your problem so you can
> progress. But what you're experiencing is not what is expected, nor am
> I able to reproduce it.
>
> Is this a rails app? Are you mixing gems and plugins perchance?

Yes and yes.

Aha.

I hadn't bothered to upgrade the plugin as I figured that using 'spec'
from the command line would run the 1.1.8 version from my gems folder,
and not touch the plugin at all.

Let me upgrade the plugin too and see what happens.

thanks,
Matt
On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 2:04 AM, Matt Wynne <matt@mattwynne.net> wrote:
>> examples are correctly reported as pending).
>
> Yes and yes.
>
> Aha.
>
> I hadn't bothered to upgrade the plugin as I figured that using 'spec' from
> the command line would run the 1.1.8 version from my gems folder, and not
> touch the plugin at all.
>
> Let me upgrade the plugin too and see what happens.

Actually, I'd recommend the other way around: get rid of the plugins
and use the 1.1.8 gems for rspec and rspec-rails.

Cheers,
David