Forum: Ruby [ANN] ruby-ole-1.2.8 released!

B55aa8835b13b2cb20220aa357ede4b1?d=identicon&s=25 Charles L. (aquasync)
on 2008-10-08 09:58
The new version of ruby-ole has been released!

ruby-ole is a library for read/write access to OLE2 structured storage
files, such as those produced by Microsoft Office, eg *.doc, *.msg etc.
It provides a simple filesystem style api.

Details at http://ruby-ole.googlecode.com, or go straight to
http://ruby-ole.rubyforge.org/doc for the RDoc.

Changes:

- Fixes multiple MBAT read/write support (for large OLE files).
- Better documentation.
- Easy access to meta data and simple mime type classification.
- Exposing the above through oletool
- More tests - now have 100% coverage.
- Cross platform bug fixes
90ebe8da17aabd36cc30d9f96a530e6f?d=identicon&s=25 James Herdman (biocsnerd)
Very interesting.  This is probably a ridiculous question, but is there
Windows dependency for this library?  I'm itching for a library to write
Excel files without having to resort to Windows.  If I must use Windows
and
some OLE bridge, I'd be very excited if I could use copy-and-paste
whilst
generating Excel worksheets.

James H.
B55aa8835b13b2cb20220aa357ede4b1?d=identicon&s=25 Charles L. (aquasync)
on 2008-10-09 00:13
James Herdman wrote:
> Very interesting.  This is probably a ridiculous question, but is there
> Windows dependency for this library?  I'm itching for a library to write
> Excel files without having to resort to Windows.  If I must use Windows
> and
> some OLE bridge, I'd be very excited if I could use copy-and-paste
> whilst
> generating Excel worksheets.
>
> James H.

Hi James,

No there's no windows dependency. If you're looking for a library to
write excel files though, "gem install spreadsheet-excel" - I've used it
a bit and it works fairly well.

I've also written my own fairly limited excel writer (because i needed
biff8) which I'll release when I clean it up.

Aside from this though, you shouldn't need to use copy & paste just to
generate a spreadsheet using excel directly?

- Charles
90ebe8da17aabd36cc30d9f96a530e6f?d=identicon&s=25 James Herdman (biocsnerd)

> Aside from this though, you shouldn't need to use copy & paste just to
> generate a spreadsheet using excel directly?

One wouldn't think so, but that seems to be the way the Windows Win32OLE
library works.  It's quite shocking.

I'll take a peak at your lib.  Thanks!

James