Forum: Ruby on Rails redirecting .php / .aspx requests ?

760e5c90000057a6860986b69b77c400?d=identicon&s=25 John Griffiths (indiehead)
on 2008-10-07 13:22
I'm rebuilding my site and with google i'm getting a load of requests
for .php or .aspx files which the previous site was built on.

Is there any way of redirecting these www.mysite.com/index.aspx requests
to the /index action via the routes, maybe a wildcard, so google
sitemaps doesn't list those old links as errors?
On 7 Oct 2008, at 12:22, John Griffiths wrote:

> I'm rebuilding my site and with google i'm getting a load of requests
> for .php or .aspx files which the previous site was built on.
>
> Is there any way of redirecting these www.mysite.com/index.aspx
> requests
> to the /index action via the routes, maybe a wildcard, so google
> sitemaps doesn't list those old links as errors?

You could do this via a mod_rewrite rule, or if you just want rails to
accept those urls, you should be able to do that by adding a pseudo
mime type (in the same say that you can do to yourapp/orders.xml and
get an xml representation, you should be able to add pseudo types for
php and aspx that just behaved the same as the html ones)

Fred
760e5c90000057a6860986b69b77c400?d=identicon&s=25 John Griffiths (indiehead)
on 2008-10-07 18:11
ok, so if i add a type for php,

Mime::Type.register "application/x-httpd-php", :php

and then something in my route.rb to redirect any .php calls to the
appropriate place i should be ok?