Forum: Ruby on Rails Helper methods from controller

A4d90c6fe98bfe0b491c277c3e687031?d=identicon&s=25 Jon Stenqvist (jnstq)

I'm not sure i'm my design is correct, but i have around_filter in the
controller, where i want to add a small javascript at the end of the
page. Is there someway i can use the javascript_tag from the controller?
i though there where a helpers proxy available.

/Jon
Fb83976abd4d2d2f5f4c4f086a3b09f6?d=identicon&s=25 Raja Venkataraman (rajasaur)
on 2008-10-05 14:17
Jon Stenqvist wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure i'm my design is correct, but i have around_filter in the
> controller, where i want to add a small javascript at the end of the
> page. Is there someway i can use the javascript_tag from the controller?
> i though there where a helpers proxy available.

Maybe Im not understanding your situation, but filters are more used for
application logic and typical cases like logging, benchmarking etc.
Wouldnt it be better to use the layouts folder and stick the javascript
in there ?
A4d90c6fe98bfe0b491c277c3e687031?d=identicon&s=25 Jon Stenqvist (jnstq)
on 2008-10-05 14:38
Raja Venkataraman wrote:
> Jon Stenqvist wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm not sure i'm my design is correct, but i have around_filter in the
>> controller, where i want to add a small javascript at the end of the
>> page. Is there someway i can use the javascript_tag from the controller?
>> i though there where a helpers proxy available.
>
> Maybe Im not understanding your situation, but filters are more used for
> application logic and typical cases like logging, benchmarking etc.
> Wouldnt it be better to use the layouts folder and stick the javascript
> in there ?

This will be a plugin that enable auto-refresh with ajax, and the
after_filter is starting the javascript-update-check-script for the
configured actions.
A82ba1167f4d4a8d1de63820e576a87f?d=identicon&s=25 Robby Russell (Guest)
On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 5:38 AM, Jon Stenqvist
<rails-mailing-list@andreas-s.net> wrote:
>> Maybe Im not understanding your situation, but filters are more used for
>> application logic and typical cases like logging, benchmarking etc.
>> Wouldnt it be better to use the layouts folder and stick the javascript
>> in there ?
>
> This will be a plugin that enable auto-refresh with ajax, and the
> after_filter is starting the javascript-update-check-script for the
> configured actions.

This isn't really how you'd use the before/after filters. What it
sounds like is that you need to be able to trigger js to be called on
specific actions? You might consider adding the js code to your
application layout view... and use a before filter on the specific
actions you want this to run and have that show the corresponding js.

For example:

before_filter :trigger_js_stuff

def trigger_js_stuff
  @reload_page = true
end

In your view...

<% if @reload_page %>
  // trigger your js code here
<% end %>

Good luck!

Robby

--
Robby Russell
Chief Evangelist, Partner

PLANET ARGON, LLC
design // development // hosting

http://www.planetargon.com/
http://www.robbyonrails.com/
aim: planetargon

+1 503 445 2457
+1 877 55 ARGON [toll free]
+1 815 642 4068 [fax]
A4d90c6fe98bfe0b491c277c3e687031?d=identicon&s=25 Jon Stenqvist (jnstq)
on 2008-10-06 08:09
Robby Russell wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 5:38 AM, Jon Stenqvist
> <rails-mailing-list@andreas-s.net> wrote:
>>> Maybe Im not understanding your situation, but filters are more used for
>>> application logic and typical cases like logging, benchmarking etc.
>>> Wouldnt it be better to use the layouts folder and stick the javascript
>>> in there ?
>>
>> This will be a plugin that enable auto-refresh with ajax, and the
>> after_filter is starting the javascript-update-check-script for the
>> configured actions.
>
> This isn't really how you'd use the before/after filters. What it
> sounds like is that you need to be able to trigger js to be called on
> specific actions? You might consider adding the js code to your
> application layout view... and use a before filter on the specific
> actions you want this to run and have that show the corresponding js.
>
> For example:
>
> before_filter :trigger_js_stuff
>
> def trigger_js_stuff
>   @reload_page = true
> end
>
> In your view...
>

> <% if @reload_page %>
>   // trigger your js code here
> <% end %>
>
> Good luck!
>
> Robby

Thanks Robby,  i just put it on github, please have a look and see if
it's correct usage,
http://github.com/jnstq/content_refresher/tree/master. I would like to
just javascript_tag @ line 60 on
http://github.com/jnstq/content_refresher/tree/mas...