Forum: Ruby on Rails Ruby for a simple web app?

161943fa27273ca47806f2d4d296974f?d=identicon&s=25 George 4000 (decoy4000)
on 2008-10-04 14:14
I am not a developer and I am not sure that Ruby is the best framework
for my online app, don't know where to start, and not sure this is the
right place to ask.

At a high level, the site will provide users a single function once
self-registered (with email) or invited. They will be able to make a
list, similar to a wish-list. And then invite friends to register and
view the list.

I am planning on gwrowing the funtionality as the userbase grow, so for
now I have a shared hosting account with GoDaddy (LAMP Server)
I expect to have about 5 users concurrent in the beginning.
will this be a simple task?
What freelancing site or developers group would be good to contact?

Appreciate the help,

George
A09c65387ac9134edbb522267c587d28?d=identicon&s=25 Abel (Guest)
I think you are in the right place, George.
Ruby and the framework Rails can perform those tasks without a
problem.

On Oct 4, 2:14 pm, George 4000 <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>
8fa0f5c2bf8ad238baa4e20cb0360ebd?d=identicon&s=25 Matt Harrison (iwasinnamuknow)
George 4000 wrote:
> now I have a shared hosting account with GoDaddy (LAMP Server)
> I expect to have about 5 users concurrent in the beginning.
> will this be a simple task?
> What freelancing site or developers group would be good to contact?
>
> Appreciate the help,
>
> George

Hi George,

As far as your task goes, the wishlist part of it will be fairly simple,
its the authentication system that will give you the most work.

I'm a freelance developer but I'm not working at the moment, however I
would be happy to work on your project if you need. I have made several
systems like the one you are talking about, and I can give some
advice/support with most of it.

If you are interested in moving this project forwards then let me know,
I can probably make a simple application to do what you want in a day or
two so I can make one and let you look through it and see if you like
it.

Let me know what you think.

Matt
restful_authentication is your friend when it comes to developing an
authentication system.
3e7125e49df65681624b292c6cc0e92a?d=identicon&s=25 blasterpal (Guest)
The only thing that stands out to me in your request is using GoDaddy
as your hosting account.

As a disclaimer, I am not a GoDaddy user, but an inexpensive shared
hosting account may not be the best environment to deploying a Rails
app. There will be some limitations. However, if you plan on the first
phase being an 'alpha' phase and later move onto a better Rails host
then using GoDaddy should be very doable.