Forum: Ruby How to do ruby setup on linux?

8250bc01c27651035e14905b2c5fe961?d=identicon&s=25 Ch Asif (muasif80)
on 2008-10-03 07:57
Hi All,

Can anyone explain how ruby can be setup on linux?

Thanks
9b4c04c050122bcea16a6f3376d680fa?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel Bush (danb)
on 2008-10-03 08:04
Ch Asif wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Can anyone explain how ruby can be setup on linux?
>
> Thanks

Which linux?
You can install ruby via the distro you are using.  Or you can install
from source.

Daniel
8250bc01c27651035e14905b2c5fe961?d=identicon&s=25 Ch Asif (muasif80)
on 2008-10-03 09:26
Daniel Bush wrote:
> Ch Asif wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Can anyone explain how ruby can be setup on linux?
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Which linux?
> You can install ruby via the distro you are using.  Or you can install
> from source.
>
> Daniel

I have Fedora Core 6 on VmWare. Thanks
8250bc01c27651035e14905b2c5fe961?d=identicon&s=25 Ch Asif (muasif80)
on 2008-10-03 10:18
Ch Asif wrote:
> Daniel Bush wrote:
>> Ch Asif wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Can anyone explain how ruby can be setup on linux?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>
>> Which linux?
>> You can install ruby via the distro you are using.  Or you can install
>> from source.
>>
>> Daniel
>
> I have Fedora Core 6 on VmWare. Thanks

The following are the steps that I performed to install ruby on my linux
machine.

I went to http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/downloads/ There I found out a
section with the heading Ruby Source Code

I pick the url of the link for the file using the right click and
choosing the 'copy link location' in my firefox.

Then I went to the shell on my linux and put the following command

shell> wget ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/1.8/ruby-1.8.7-p72.tar.gz

This downloaded the ruby source code to my root directory. I extracted
the file using the following command

shell> tar -xvf ruby-1.8.7-p72.tar.gz

This command extracted the source archieve to ruby-1.8.7-p72 directory.
Then I enter into this ruby-1.8.7-p72 directory and executed the
following command

shell> ./configure

This is actually not a command rather a script, that is run to check the
required configurations for the installation purposes. At the successful
run of this script I executed the following command

shell> make

This make command compiled the code. At the end of the make command I
executed the following command

shell> make install

This make install command installed the ruby and placed the ruby files
in appropriate folders.

Thats all to what I did for installing ruby on a linux machine.

You can confirm your ruby installation by using the following command

shell> ruby -v

This same text is also available on
http://linux-certification.blogspot.com/2008/10/se...
> I have Fedora Core 6 on VmWare. Thanks

Try "yum install ruby"

(But beware that Fedora 6 is well past its sell-by date - that is, it's
no longer maintained, so you'll get no security or bug fixes. Better to
update to Fedora 9 first. If you don't like the pain of upgrading every
year, then choose a different distro with long-term support, like CentOS
or Ubuntu LTS)