Forum: JRuby ruby-prof for jruby

F15fdc7cb2e911b3808837f2be244add?d=identicon&s=25 AD (Guest)
is there an alternative for ruby-prof (currently only has native C
bindings)
in JRuby ?
Adam
AD wrote:
> is there an alternative for ruby-prof (currently only has native C
> bindings) in JRuby ?

One option might be to use a normal Java profiling solution and set
everything to compile (-X+C or set property jruby.compile.mode=FORCE).
Ruby code should show up alongside Java code then.

There's also a couple JRuby flags that could help, especially used in
concert with force compile:

--sample uses the builtin JVM sampling profiler, which isn't terribly
accurate but can help show serious problems
--profile uses a small instrumented profiler to profile just Ruby code
(though it seems to have broken at some point).

What are others doing? Obviously dependence on C extensions is something
we'd love to discourage in the Ruby world, and there's a whole *world*
of profiling tools for JVM use.

- Charlie

> What are others doing? Obviously dependence on C extensions is something
> we'd love to discourage in the Ruby world, and there's a whole *world*
> of profiling tools for JVM use.

jruby --debug -rprofile

appears to be another option
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1445714/how-to-...

I'm still not seeing anything that's quite as complete as ruby-prof out
there, though.  Looks like you can purchse JXInsight if you want to :)

-r
> jruby --debug -rprofile
>
> appears to be another option

And another option: