Forum: Redcloth JRuby branch started

Jason G. (Guest)
I've started a branch on GitHub so that those who are interested can
hack on JRuby compatibility for RedCloth:
http://github.com/jgarber/redcloth/tree/jruby

As I've said from time to time, I don't have the time, skills, or
inclination to work on it, but I didn't want to hold back those who
do.  Thus, I've refactored the code a bit in the branch to separate
out the Ragel code from the C code.  All you have to do, I think (from
reading the Hpricot source), is create identical functions in Java
where possible.  There will be a few cases where a Ragel pattern will
have to be rewritten for C and Java, but they should be very, very few.

To get started:

1. if you don't have JRuby installed,
  rake jruby:install         # Installs jruby in a subdirectory of ./
test/
  set your PATH for jruby
  you may need to gem install echoe in jruby
2. hack away
3. compile with rake jruby:redcloth_scan_java
4. jruby -S rake test

I'm thinking when JRuby support is at 100% (all test cases pass), we
merge it into trunk and release RedCloth 5.  From now until then, all
donations to the redcloth fund on pledgie will be saved up for the
contributors to the JRuby branch.  At release, I'll divide it up among
contributors (myself excluded) according to my judgement of their
contribution.(1)

Donate (nay, invest!) now if you want to see a JRuby version released:
http://www.pledgie.com/campaigns/1081

Jason

1.) If there's little or no progress made on the branch by Christmas,
I'll return the money to the people who gave it. (2)
2.) If for some reason I can't return the money, I'll donate it to
charity.
Jason G. (Guest)
Whoops!  I should have made this step before #1: fork and check out
the jruby branch.  We don't want Java contributions on master!
Stephen B. (Guest)
At 10:33 AM -0400 9/16/08, Jason G. wrote:
>Whoops!  I should have made this step before #1: fork and check out
>the jruby branch.  We don't want Java contributions on master!
>
>On Sep 16, 2008, at 10:20 AM, Jason G. wrote:
>
>>I've started a branch on GitHub so that those who are interested
>>can hack on JRuby compatibility for RedCloth:
>><http://github.com/jgarber/redcloth/tree/jruby>http...

Ha ... ;-)

Last night I started a jruby branch -- I've made some progress. When
I get it a bit further I'll make a public fork on github of redcloth
and the combined jruby branch
Klaas P. (Guest)
Sounds good. I forked on GitHub to check the stuff out as well. If you
are already making progress, this is maybe a waste of time? If you need
some help just say so, else I won't try to get the jruby support
working.

Regards
Klaas

Stephen B. schrieb:
Jason G. (Guest)
Has anyone announced this effort on the JRuby listserv?  I'm not a
member, but if any of you are, perhaps you'd consider letting them know?

Jason