Forum: Ruby on Rails Moving from a single-user application to multiple users

98a852320a93320cb43954fba92b1e48?d=identicon&s=25 talltim (Guest)
Hi all,

I've started learning Rails and have hacked my way through the various
tutorials.  Having become reasonably confident I've started making my
first app, a web-based fundraising program.  It's a very simple
contacts and transactions database.
I've had a bit of a hunt around and haven't been able to turn anything
up about how I can take my application as it stands now and make it
suitable for multiple users.  Do I create a new database for each new
user?  How do I make the app find that new database?

Anyway, lots of naive questions.  Is there an online tutorial which
would explain this to me?

Thanks,

Tim
C6c6d0d2160a6811ff4409d678c11db9?d=identicon&s=25 sean (Guest)
Tim Vaughan wrote:

Multiple users they way gmail has multiple users? or as a product that
can be installed on a machine and support multiple clients?

1. is your standard user table stuff, access controls perhaps

2. there is productize detailed on the wiki, duane did it... its pretty
good.

http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/RailsProdu...
98a852320a93320cb43954fba92b1e48?d=identicon&s=25 talltim (Guest)
> Multiple users they way gmail has multiple users? or as a product that
> can be installed on a machine and support multiple clients?

I meant multiple users the way gmail has multiple users, so one user
would log in and be unable to access the data of another user.  Your
link is really helpful, thanks.

Tim
C6c6d0d2160a6811ff4409d678c11db9?d=identicon&s=25 sean (Guest)
Tim Vaughan wrote:

Look at the Salted Hashed Generator or similiar.