Forum: Ruby Writing to DBF

03ffb093e87b6e045207788baf09bbad?d=identicon&s=25 gustin (Guest)
Hey Gang,
    I am attempting to write to a DBF, Visual FoxPro specifically, in
support of a legacy application.

    We are using the dbf gem with great success in reading, but need
to write back to the dbf.

    Anyone have experience with this?

~)o
gustin
entryway software development
http://www.entryway.net
34a7615f38496a5dafbb3e6b721c435e?d=identicon&s=25 Mohit Sindhwani (Guest)
gustin wrote:
> Hey Gang,
>     I am attempting to write to a DBF, Visual FoxPro specifically, in
> support of a legacy application.
>
>     We are using the dbf gem with great success in reading, but need
> to write back to the dbf.
>
>     Anyone have experience with this?

Hi Gustin

I just posted on my blog about reading from DBF but unfortunately
haven't yet needed to write to one.  I hope you'll post back if you
manage to?

By the way, if you look at the project's home page @ RubyForge [
http://rubyforge.org/projects/dbf/] it says:
> DBF is a small fast library for reading dBase, xBase, Clipper and
> FoxPro database files. It is written completely in Ruby and has no
> external dependencies.

There's no mention of writing!

Cheers,
Mohit. [Blog - http://notepad.onghu.com ]
8/11/2008 | 2:17 PM.
Fd1a879445f337144bc1f2a5ebd8402b?d=identicon&s=25 nick ger (konung)
on 2009-02-05 01:25
gustin wrote:
> Hey Gang,
>     I am attempting to write to a DBF, Visual FoxPro specifically, in
> support of a legacy application.
>
>     We are using the dbf gem with great success in reading, but need
> to write back to the dbf.
>
>     Anyone have experience with this?
>
> ~)o
> gustin
> entryway software development
> http://www.entryway.net

Hi, gustin.

Not sure if you still need it - but here is a write up on my blog about
how to read/write to dbf files - i just ran into the same problem myself
and was looking for info - so once I found a solution I thought it might
help you.

http://www.gorbikoff.com/2009/02/03/how-to-read-an...

Nick.