Forum: Mongrel Starting Mongrel as Windows service

0a0943ef38939b441e8f3e8043cf9d1a?d=identicon&s=25 Justin To (justint)
on 2008-07-08 01:51
Hi, I'm very new to Mongrel and RoR.

I found this command:

$ mongrel_rails_service install -n blog -r c:\data\blog \
                        -p 4000 -e production

But I'm not sure if I'm suppose to modify any of those
commands. Or should I just press enter and leave it as is?

Thanks!
E7cff3cfd41c495e1012227d7dc24202?d=identicon&s=25 Luis Lavena (luislavena)
On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 1:51 AM, Justin To <lists@ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> Hi, I'm very new to Mongrel and RoR.
>
> I found this command:
>
> $ mongrel_rails_service install -n blog -r c:\data\blog \
>                        -p 4000 -e production
>
> But I'm not sure if I'm suppose to modify any of those
> commands. Or should I just press enter and leave it as is?

Hello Justin.

Dunno where you found those commands, but they are not up to date.

This page contains more actual information:

http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/wiki/Win32

1) To install a service, from the root of your rails application, do
this:

mongrel_rails service::install -N blog

That will create a "blog" service that you can start or stop using net
commands:

net start blog
net stop blog

2) To remove the service, only do this:

mongrel_rails service:remove -N blog

Notice the use of uppercase N, that changed some time ago due a clash
of parameters between service and cluster. Now is N.

> Thanks!

HTH,
--
Luis Lavena
AREA 17

However, I was a little confused since you said I must use:

 mongrel_rails service::install -N blog

while the link you gave me says:

mongrel_rails service::install -N myapp \
      -c c:\my\path\to\myapp -p 4000 -e production

What do the extra parameters do?

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 5:57 PM, Justin To <lists@ruby-forum.com> wrote:

> What do the extra parameters do?

you can check for yourself:

mongrel_rails service::install -h

that will give you a detailed list of what means each one.

You can use the -c one if you want to install the service from outside
your RAILS_ROOT.

> Thanks!!

You can look for the other ones: port and environment :-)

HTH,
--
Luis Lavena
AREA 17