Forum: Ruby on Rails RadRails 0.4.1 is out

kyle (Guest)
Check out our latest release here: www.radrails.org

If you want to bring our plugins into your existing eclipse
installation use this eclipse update site:
http://download.radrails.org/update

In this release there are several bug fixes, a completely refactored
RHTML editor, a brand new CSS editor, more Ruby content assist
templates and SQL content assist templates.

Cheers,
Kyle Shank
www.radrails.org
bruno.celeste (Guest)
Thanks for your good work ;)
But I notice the completion bug is still not be fixed (the one which
didn't respect correct indentation when use ctrl+space) :'(

I hope it will be fixed in the next release..
This project is very promising, thanks again.

2005/11/9, Kyle Shank:
jake (Guest)
Forgive the silly question, but I'm new to Eclipse, Ruby, and Rails.
I've
got some tools installed into Eclipse from org.rubypeople.rdt.  Is there
comparison between these two plugins?

   Jake
Daniel.Berger (Guest)
Jake Janovetz wrote:
> Forgive the silly question, but I'm new to Eclipse, Ruby, and Rails.  I've
> got some tools installed into Eclipse from org.rubypeople.rdt.  Is there a
> comparison between these two plugins?
>
>    Jake

RDT is the plugin for Ruby, the language, not Rails in particular.

See rubyeclipse.sf.net for more information.

Regards,

Dan
jake (Guest)
So these two plugins won't step on each other?  I installed the RDT one
and
then WDT to get some syntax highlighting in rhtml.  It seems that the
RadRails will do a better job of that, I'm just curious how they work
with
each other (or don't!).

   Jake
becker.scott (Guest)
agreed. this is the first thing i check when i try out new releases of
RadRails (or RDT for that matter): "have they fixed the indentation for
content assist yet?!"

but the syntax highlighting looks really good.. still looking forward to
more auto-complete (ending HTML tags, brackets, etc.)... i think the
most
important thing to focus on is to be a good code editor for .RB and
.RHTML
files for rails projects. all the other stuff like database views,
stop/starting the server, database.yml editors, etc are nice to have,
but
actual code editing features are the most important to me...

how do we get the black background back? :)

-s

On 11/9/05, Bruno Celeste <bruno.celeste@gmail.com> wrote:

> > www.radrails.org <http://www.radrails.org>

Scott Becker
Web Developer

Electro Interactive
8870 N Himes Ave
Suite 305
Tampa, FL 33614
Tel: 813-240-8592
www.ElectroInteractive.com <http://www.ElectroInteractive.com>
bruno.celeste (Guest)
I agree too :-)
This bug is very annoying and I can't use radrail because of that,
even if it has a lot of great features.. 99% of the time, I write
code, so the code editor is extremely important to me.

I'll try the next release.

2005/11/9, Scott Becker:
kyle (Guest)
Color preferences are located in Window > Preferences, then Rails.

You can set colors on all of our editors from there.

Auto-complete will be coming in 0.5.

-Kyle
pete (Guest)
*whinge mode on*

You guys are lucky that this is your only problem! I've tried the
last three versions of RadRails and can't make it work at all. For
some reason it can't find rails on my system, so fails to create
projects or run anything. I've e-mailed the RadRails developers,
filed a bug (http://dev.radrails.org/trac/ticket/272), and still got
nowhere. All they tell me is that rails needs to be in my path. Guess
what? It is! I run it every day. RadRails still can't find it.

What I don't understand is, if RadRails is a double clickable app on
OS X, where is it supposed to be getting my path from? It's not being
run inside a shell, so my rc files will not be run, and the path will
not be set.

(Setup for the interested is: OS X 10.4.3, ruby and rails installed
via DarwinPorts.)

Pete Yandell
codeslush (Guest)
Pete,

Today was the first I had heard of RadRails (as I'm new to ROR) and I am
running the Windows version w/o any problems at all.  I'm using it right
now to run and debug my app and it beats the heck out of the way I was
doing things before!

For me, it's a keeper.  I'm just a newbie and not doing anything too
complicated - so maybe my experience is different from other more
advanced users.  I was a little worried when I downloaded it and I saw
all the jar files in the zip file.  I went ahead and extracted the files
and double-clicked on radrails.exe and it magically worked!  That is my
experience so far.

Michael

Pete Yandell <pete@notahat.com> wrote:
[...]

trevor (Guest)
Hi Pete,

go into your shell, cd to the directory where radrails is installed and
type:

open radrails.app

I was suffering from the same problem you had until I tried that.

Regards,
Trevor

On 9-Nov-05, at 4:13 PM, Pete Yandell wrote:

> What I don't understand is, if RadRails is a double clickable app on
>
>>> RadRails (or RDT for that matter): "have they fixed the indentation
>>> stop/starting the server, database.yml editors, etc are nice to
> Rails mailing list
> Rails@lists.rubyonrails.org

Trevor Squires
http://somethinglearned.com
john.knott (Guest)
Hi Kyle
 I couldn't find where to set the background color of the editor (back
black).
Maybe I'm blind but all I can see are settings for font colours.
 Good work BTW.
 John
dandrew.thompson (Guest)
Unfortunately, for whatever reason daeI still cannot seem to run
radrails even though I downloaded the new version as told.

Here's what I get (which is new in version 0.4.1 (the error message is
new)):

*****
Error creating WEBrick server:
Server script file not found.
*****

A folder was created with nothing in it. So no rails app was created.
I am able to do everything with Rails with no problem at the command
line and textmate. So that's where I'll probably stay for now.

Dave
At least I don't feel as stupid for haveing the same issue on Moday :-).

The background color is in:

Preferences/General/Appearance/Editors/TextEditors

but it is a pain to set all of them back to the black theme. If you
want I can send you my exported preference file.
brett.a.rogers (Guest)
That would be great!
naseby (Guest)
On 11/10/05, Kyle Shank <kyle@radrails.org> wrote:
> Check out our latest release here: www.radrails.org
>
> If you want to bring our plugins into your existing eclipse
> installation use this eclipse update site:
> http://download.radrails.org/update

RadRails looks promising, but it doesn't seem to work properly on my
home system; I'm running Ruby 1.8.2 on WinXP SP2. RadRails starts up
fine, and sets up rails projects fine, but when I try using "Run As"
on any script, nothing runs. The Run As, Debug As, etc options
disappear from the context menu, and nothing appears in the console.

Any idea what might be going wrong?

--
David Naseby
http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~naseby/

-Kyle
cleaner416 (Guest)
RadRails Team -

Thank you, thank you. I just tried RadRails for the first time on my
Mac and it runs like a dream. The SVN integration and code completion
features are very helpful.  I think it may be time to ditch
textmate.  Any chance of getting a tailed development log into the
console?

Keep up the good work!
naseby (Guest)
On 11/11/05, Kyle Shank <kyle@radrails.org> wrote:
> That's because we didn't implement Run As, Debug As etc.  What are you
> trying to use those for?  The console gets populated with SVN and
> WEBrick server messages.

Trying to run tests, basically.

--
David Naseby
http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~naseby/
kyle (Guest)
We have integrated testing with Test::Unit and JUnit style results
coming in a later release so stay tuned.

-Kyle
kyle (Guest)
Tail should be coming soon.  I'll bring it up with the team but I
think marc already has the code we just need to decide how we want to
integrate it.

Cheers,
Kyle
mtmusko (Guest)
Hi Michael,

How were you able to use RadRails to debug?  I was able to create a
project and launch the WEBrick server for the project but there
doesn't seem to be anyway to set breakpoints.

Any help would be appreciated?

-Frank

On 11/9/05, Michael <codeslush@yahoo.com> wrote:
> files in the zip file.  I went ahead and extracted the files and
> last three versions of RadRails and can't make it work at all. For
> not be set.
> > even if it has a lot of great features.. 99% of the time, I write

--
Frank Kim
http://meetingkoreans.com

-Kyle
ldk2005 (Guest)
This is really slick! I love how the code completion help job my memory.
Am
using with InstantRails on Windows. There are a couple of things I don't
understand yet.

1) I can see a wizard to select a CVS project. But, not a selection for
SVN?

2) How would I add my own custom table_scaffold to the new objects list?
or
change the current rails_scaffold wizard so that it calls my
table_scaffold
instead?

Great product!
-Larry

On 11/11/05, Kyle Shank <kyle@radrails.org> wrote:
> > project and launch the WEBrick server for the project but there
> am
> jar
> > > You guys are lucky that this is your only problem! I've tried the
> > > run inside a shell, so my rc files will not be run, and the path will
> > >
> > Rails@lists.rubyonrails.org

Best Regards,
-Larry
"Work, work, work...there is no satisfactory alternative."
--- E.Taft Benson
alltom (Guest)
>  1)  I can see a wizard to select a CVS project.  But, not a selection for
> SVN?

I couldn't fiind it either. I did manage to find some screen that had
something to do with Subversion, but then it complained about
something else being missing, so I figured that it wasn't completed.

>  Great product!
>  -Larry

Sincerely,

Tom Lieber