Forum: Ruby on Rails newbie question - verifying it works right

3d530114523d9cd69fca11d4db16ab9f?d=identicon&s=25 Tyler Craft (tylerc083)
on 2005-11-24 17:06
I'm running apache 1.x on os x tiger.

I installed RoR following this website:
http://www.tonyarnold.com/articles/2005/08/10/roll...

I've got apache set up to point to the right directoy, and the virtual
host is created properly (ie, i made a virtual directoy named
'rails_dev' to point to the public folder within the Rails installation)

So, when I put this in my URL:
http://rails_dev/index.html

I get the
"Congratulations, you've put Ruby on Rails!"

However, if I just put 'http://rails_dev/' I get:
Application error
Rails application failed to start properly"

And in my apache error log it has this:
mod_rewrite: maximum number of internal redirects reached. Assuming
configuration error. Use 'RewriteOptions MaxRedirects' to increase the
limit if neccessary.

Inside my .htaccess file I have this:
RewriteRule ^$ index.html [QSA]
RewriteRule ^([^.]+)$ $1.html [QSA]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ dispatch.fcgi [QSA,L]
RewriteBase /test/

*note - I've used RewriteBase of rails_dev thinking it may have been
with the URL, but I still get the same error

Also, when I try to run dispatch.cgi, I recieve this error:
Routing Error
Recognition failed for "/dispatch.cgi"

Any ideas/help?  Anything that someone needs that I didn't provide?  Let
me know, I'd really like to try developing in ror...  but just getting
started (with any language) always seems like the biggest hurdle...heh

Thanks in advance!
Tyler
648d60296e65a1278017c0b9f960ec3a?d=identicon&s=25 ol1barn3s (Guest)
tyler,
not sure why http://rails_dev/ points you to rails, but I think you
maybe getting "recognition for dispatch.CGI" because you have a
rewrite rule only for dispatch.FCGI

hope this helps (i'm a newbie too)
- Oliver

2005/11/24, tyler craft <tyler@tylerc.net>:
3d530114523d9cd69fca11d4db16ab9f?d=identicon&s=25 Tyler Craft (tylerc083)
on 2005-11-25 05:10
thanks for the response.

I should have explained more.  My current setup is that I have a number
of virtual hosts set up with apache.  so for instance, i manage a
website freeformfilm.org.  I have set up a virtual host called
freeformfilm_dev which points to /Users/tyler/Sites/freeformfilm/dev/

This way I don't have to keep doing localhost/freeformfilm/dev/ to get
to the site, and in my files, if I start a path with /, I wouldn't go to
localhost, but rather the root of the dev folder.  Although from the
.htaccess file that Rails made, it looks like I could have done this in
that file with the RewriteBase... but that is another topic....

I've made (what I think) is a little progress.  I've cleared up the
rewrite issues.

So I have a virtual host set up for rails_dev to point to
/Users/tyler/Rails/Test/public/

When I go to this, the Rails welcome page comes up.

I even made a hello.cgi file with this that works:
#!/usr/bin/ruby
print "Content-type: text/html\r\n\r\n"

I copied this file and made it hello.fcgi to see what would happen, but
my error log keeps coming back with this in an endless loop (or until I
restart apache):

[warn] FastCGI: (dynamic) server
"/Users/tyler/Rails/Test/public/hello.fcgi" restarted (pid 19339)

And when I tried to open the dispatch.cgi I get this in the browser:
Routing Error

Recognition failed for "/dispatch.cgi"

Perhaps I just haven't got my head around how ror works.  Should I even
be concerned about this?  Or since the .cgi file worked... that just
means I have Ruby working right, but not Rails?

Again, thanks for the response.
Eea7ad39737b0dbf3de38874e0a6c7d8?d=identicon&s=25 justin (Guest)
tyler craft wrote:
[...]
> Any ideas/help?  Anything that someone needs that I didn't provide?  Let
> me know, I'd really like to try developing in ror...  but just getting
> started (with any language) always seems like the biggest hurdle...heh

For learning Rails on OS X, Locomotive [1] + TextMate [2] is a great
combination. Don't worry about hooking up to Apache until you really
need to.

regards

   Justin

[1] http://locomotive.sourceforge.net/