Forum: Mongrel can't get mongrel to work as daemon

E40acb0defb9f6d33c59c6cc0715ac8f?d=identicon&s=25 Ken Bryant (kenbryant)
on 2008-05-23 21:05
I'm a mongrel newbie and a linux newbie.  I have two CENTOS 5 servers.
On server A, my app works fine, with mongrel in daemon mode.  On server
B, it works fine if I just say mongrel_rails start, but if I add -d, it
doesn't run.  Suggestions?
E40acb0defb9f6d33c59c6cc0715ac8f?d=identicon&s=25 Ken Bryant (kenbryant)
on 2008-05-23 21:17
Ken Bryant wrote:
> I'm a mongrel newbie and a linux newbie.  I have two CENTOS 5 servers.
> On server A, my app works fine, with mongrel in daemon mode.  On server
> B, it works fine if I just say mongrel_rails start, but if I add -d, it
> doesn't run.  Suggestions?

Ack!  I found it.  Sorry to bother you all.
3f52fe29df00360ea265a5560058739a?d=identicon&s=25 Rick Cockerham (pixie)
on 2010-06-23 19:50
I'm on Red Hat rhel 5.  Apache 2.2, Mongrel 1.1.5, Ruby 1.8.6, Rails
2.3.5

When I run mongrel with -d it crashes the first time it's accessed.  It
doesn't return anything.  It doesn't log anything in development.log or
production.log depending on how I run it.  There is absolutely nothing
interesting in the mongrel or apache logs even with -B.

I recently upgraded to Rails 2.3.5.  That's when it stopped working.
I tried going to 2.3.8, but that was worse.  I tried going back to
mongrel 1.1.4, but that did the same thing.

I can run mongrel in the background then disown it, but that's a huge
pain to restart a cluster of mongrels that way.  I've been googling for
days and this is the only post that even comes close.  Of course, the
solution wasn't posted...

Thanks,
Rick
9c186f5bc27815e52418210f43c42f06?d=identicon&s=25 Tom Söderlund (tom_soderlund)
on 2011-08-13 23:52
> Ack!  I found it.  Sorry to bother you all.

What was the solution? I have the same problem: can run my Rails site
perfectly without the -d (daemon) option, but with -d everything looks
fine but the thread just dies.

My setup:
Rails 2.3.5
mongrel 1.1.5