Forum: Rails Spinoffs (closed, excessive spam) Autocomplete, but allow user to type something without forcing selection from dropdown?

0171b957aba93c1d621da3c2ccc1f28a?d=identicon&s=25 gouldtv (Guest)
I have a wine-tracking application I've written and I want the user to
be able to start typing a producer, and have the autocomplete code
display a pull-down list of options.  However, if the user discovers
that their wine producer is not listed in the dropdown, I'd like for
them to be able to keep typing a NOT be forced to make a selection
from the dropdown.

Is this possible using this autocompleter library?  And if so, can
someone show me what parameter I'd need to change in a non-Ruby
environment?
8cb2fab8fddc8626073f40f0106c0077?d=identicon&s=25 hosiawak@gmail.com (Guest)
On May 22, 6:11 am, gouldtv <goul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a wine-tracking application I've written and I want the user to
> be able to start typing a producer, and have the autocomplete code
> display a pull-down list of options.  However, if the user discovers
> that their wine producer is not listed in the dropdown, I'd like for
> them to be able to keep typing a NOT be forced to make a selection
> from the dropdown.
>
> Is this possible using this autocompleter library?  And if so, can
> someone show me what parameter I'd need to change in a non-Ruby
> environment?

It's not possible at the moment but I've got a patch to make it
possible.
You can see a working version at http://www.hogo.pl (just type
something in the Lokalizacja box).

The only thing stopping me from submitting the patch are broken
Autocomplete tests currently in the trunk.
They're broken because some time ago madrobby committed a piece of
code that changed the triggering event for autocompleter. If I find a
way around it I'll submit a patch if not I'll just publish my change
somewhere (hopefully soon).

--
Best
Karol Hosiawa

Is this patch something that will work with the native scriptalicious
libaries, or would I need Ruby to make this work?

- Rob
5e524ee40024a52b1f7963b9c54d2b67?d=identicon&s=25 SDB (Guest)
Hi

I'm also looking for this, and without Ruby.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Simon