Forum: Ferret installing Ferret + acts_as_ferret on Windows Vista

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
41f617d2938916787557f2c6ce1a83d6?d=identicon&s=25 Egorbrandt Egorbrandt (egorbrandt)
on 2008-05-17 20:40
Hello to you all,

I'm on Vista, with Ruby 1.8.6 and Rails 2.0.2. Trying to have the search
engine working in my railsproject has lead to problems

1) first, I did > gem install ferret
  Successfully installed ferret-0.9.6
  1 gem installed

2) secondly, I installed acts_as_ferret via script/plugin

3) when i run the WEBrick server, however, I get this error message:
  /ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
`gem_original_require': no such file to load -- ferret_ext (MissingSou
rceFile)

Have you any idea what I'm doing wrong? I'd love to hear that from you.

Thanks in advance

egorbrandt
8bf02e620ed38ce165ac440981107e97?d=identicon&s=25 Adam Hill (ado)
on 2008-06-12 03:05
Hi,

I'm running ferret on Vista also, but I'm at version 0.11.5 - maybe your
problem is because of an older gem?

try doing a "gem install ferret -v 0.11.5" at the command prompt

also, acts_as_ferret is also available as a gem, maybe try that instead
of plugin if the above doesn't work
41f617d2938916787557f2c6ce1a83d6?d=identicon&s=25 Egorbrandt Egorbrandt (egorbrandt)
on 2008-06-13 10:23
Adam Hill wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running ferret on Vista also, but I'm at version 0.11.5 - maybe your
> problem is because of an older gem?
>
> try doing a "gem install ferret -v 0.11.5" at the command prompt
>
> also, acts_as_ferret is also available as a gem, maybe try that instead
> of plugin if the above doesn't work

thanks for your suggestion, Adam!
E72d1f381ef51605c2c363b2dcc39c7f?d=identicon&s=25 Max Dolgobrod (tariel)
on 2008-07-21 18:20
Hi,

I've got a similiar situation as the creator of this thread. I'm Windows
XP and have Ruby 1.8.6 and Rails 2.1.0. Earlier when I had Rails 2.0.2,
there were no problems with the environment. Afert updgrading the
environment WEBrick doesn't start anymore and gives me "no such file to
load -- ferret_ext" error.

I've tried installing acts_as_ferret as gem and plugin - both without a
successful result. Updating ferret to the latest version 0.11.5 didn't
help either. When I run a ferret test, I get message that "ferret
works".

-- ferret_test.rb --
require 'rubygems'
require 'ferret'
include Ferret
puts "ferret works!"

I've searched already elsewhere, but didn't find any working solutions
yet.
Anyone has ideas, what could be the reason?
41f617d2938916787557f2c6ce1a83d6?d=identicon&s=25 Egorbrandt Egorbrandt (egorbrandt)
on 2008-09-19 10:57
Egorbrandt Egorbrandt wrote:
> Hello to you all,
>
> I'm on Vista, with Ruby 1.8.6 and Rails 2.0.2. Trying to have the search
> engine working in my railsproject has lead to problems
>
> 1) first, I did > gem install ferret
>   Successfully installed ferret-0.9.6
>   1 gem installed
>
> 2) secondly, I installed acts_as_ferret via script/plugin
>
> 3) when i run the WEBrick server, however, I get this error message:
>   /ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
> `gem_original_require': no such file to load -- ferret_ext (MissingSou
> rceFile)
>
> Have you any idea what I'm doing wrong? I'd love to hear that from you.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> egorbrandt

problem solved, for those poor Windows users like me:
1) gem install ferret -v=0.11.5 --platform mswin32
2) gem install acts_as_ferret
3) add "require 'acts_as_ferret'" in config/environment.rb
4) from C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\ferret-0.11.5-x86-mswin32\ext
copy/paste ferret_ext.so to
C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\ferret-0.11.5-x86-mswin32\lib

it works! (for me, and for now...)
31ef0f1b48c6387a898ef685a21ad450?d=identicon&s=25 Jens Do (circoloco)
on 2008-12-01 23:18
Egorbrandt Egorbrandt wrote:
>
> problem solved, for those poor Windows users like me:
> 1) gem install ferret -v=0.11.5 --platform mswin32
> 2) gem install acts_as_ferret
> 3) add "require 'acts_as_ferret'" in config/environment.rb
> 4) from C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\ferret-0.11.5-x86-mswin32\ext
> copy/paste ferret_ext.so to
> C:\ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\ferret-0.11.5-x86-mswin32\lib
>
> it works! (for me, and for now...)

Thanks a bunch from some other poor Windows user, worked just fine for
me on WinXP.

Jens
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.