Forum: Nitro nothing like a deadline...

Fd8f09626613a93a79e2ae899f00a465?d=identicon&s=25 Dan North (Guest)
Hi folks.

So as usual I was talking up nitro as a replacement for rails, this time
at
the SPA conference earlier this year, and someone suggested I present
something at the London SPA
meetup<http://bcs-spa.org/cgi-bin/view/SPA/PreRegistrations>
.

So I agreed. And now I'm going to need a working nitro and og (and a
nice
walkthrough demo if someone has something like that handy).

Of course I'll attribute anything I use to the appropriate people, but I
could really do with your help! Either that or I'll have to politely
decline
the talk.

I really want to get nitro out there in front of some people, and the
BCS
crowd are useful influencers to be showing things to.

So, George, about that 0.50 release..? :)

Thanks,
Dan
45196398e9685000d195ec626d477f0e?d=identicon&s=25 Trans (Guest)
On Apr 21, 8:21 am, "Dan North" <tasta...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Of course I'll attribute anything I use to the appropriate people, but I
> could really do with your help! Either that or I'll have to politely decline
> the talk.
>
> I really want to get nitro out there in front of some people, and the BCS
> crowd are useful influencers to be showing things to.
>
> So, George, about that 0.50 release..? :)

Hi Dan,

According to George's blog, he has moved onto other projects.

So Nitro is in need of a new maintainer if it is to stay alive.

I have been doing some work on Og, but even so, it will take more man-
hours than I have to spare to get a new release out any time soon. And
sadly, interest has dwindled so much I'm not even sure if it is worth
it.

T.
7a4e995e378ef66de0ceaea5e1381ee1?d=identicon&s=25 George Moschovitis (Guest)

> So, George, about that 0.50 release..? :)

Hello Dan,

I am sorry to dissapoint you but I do not plan a 0.50 in the near
future. I
am still working on Nitro as needed for my currenrt projects (ie, the
repositories still receive updates) but I do not plan to support this
project.

I am workin an a new lightwieght framework (based on javascript/java)
and
evaluating Google AppEngine at the moment so maybe you will see new
stuff
from me in the future.

-g.
Fd8f09626613a93a79e2ae899f00a465?d=identicon&s=25 Dan North (Guest)
Hi George.

That is a real shame but I understand if you have to move on - I felt
you
really had a contender to take on rails there. I'm very grateful for all
the
effort and energy you've put into it - it's been inspiring! Naturally
I'll
be watching what you get up to next.

Out of interest, is there another lightweight ruby web framework you
would
recommend? I'm looking at ramaze, which has nitro-inspired view
"elements" (
http://tinyurl.com/3d7dgn) and plays nice with Og and Sequel (
http://ramaze.net/features:orms). I haven't used it or ary of the others
(merb, mack, etc.) but from a quick scan it seems the closest in "feel"
nitro.

Thanks again,
Dan
3131fcea0a711e5ad89c8d49cc9253b4?d=identicon&s=25 Julian Leviston (Guest)
Try Merb. It rocks.

Julian.
7a4e995e378ef66de0ceaea5e1381ee1?d=identicon&s=25 George Moschovitis (Guest)
form what I undestand ramaze is quite similar to Nitro (and the
developers
behind it are cool ;-)), and I have heard Merb is nice ;-)

-g.
Ramaze is like Nitro's little sister and Merb is like Rails little
sister. IMHO you cannot go wrong with either Ramaze or Merb, it just
depends on your personal preferences and tastes.

Cheers-
-Ezra
1a3d14f9c78f728f2e5290d84f80db6a?d=identicon&s=25 Ric Turley (Guest)
I've been lurking on this mailing list hoping I get good enough at
Ruby or the Nitro documentation gets good enough that I can jump in -
I am sad to see that it might go away.

I saw a demo of Merb <http://merbivore.com/> at the Mountain West
RubyConf last month and was quite impressed. It's focused on
lightweight and flexible and well worth a look.

Ric Turley
Zarac Software
7e1aec62c34a1bc0a810f30b0a1b874e?d=identicon&s=25 Cornelius Jaeger (Guest)
hi all

sorry to put a damper on the list, but how can i unsubscribe, the
mailman links don't seem to work for me.

cheers

cornelius
Ff9e18f0699bf079f1fc91c8d4506438?d=identicon&s=25 James Britt (Guest)
Dan North wrote:
> http://ramaze.net/features:orms). I haven't used it or ary of the others
> (merb, mack, etc.) but from a quick scan it seems the closest in "feel" to
> nitro.

I'm a big fan of both Nitro and Ramaze; Ramaze does seem very much like
Nitro, with perhaps a greater range of pluggable options.

The #ramaze irc channel is very active, and a great place to get help.

Merb, too, is well worth looking at.  It may come down to subtleties of
opinion as to which best suits your development style.  Both have active
development and strong communities

Ramaze, however, has cooler T-shirts:
http://www.cafepress.com/rubystuff/4904578

:)

--
James Britt

"Discover the recipes you are using and abandon them."
  - Brian Eno and Peter Schmidt, Oblique Strategies
45196398e9685000d195ec626d477f0e?d=identicon&s=25 Trans (Guest)
It seems everyone is pretty well satisfied to turn to alternatives. I
guess shouldn't bother to continue work on Nitro or Og, then?

T.
Ca8efd0ba834b02b9b7dd34b5c6c2721?d=identicon&s=25 Kirk Haines (Guest)
On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 3:04 PM, Trans <transfire@gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems everyone is pretty well satisfied to turn to alternatives. I
>  guess shouldn't bother to continue work on Nitro or Og, then?

It's hard to fight that inertia, and Nitro has been in a murky state
for _well_ more than a year, now.

Want to work on IOWA?  ;)

Kirk Haines
From: "Trans" <transfire@gmail.com>

> It seems everyone is pretty well satisfied to turn to alternatives. I
> guess shouldn't bother to continue work on Nitro or Og, then?

Hmm...

Are folks abandoning Og, too?  I notice the Ramaze page about
ORM's shows an example using Og, but that they "suggest Sequel."

http://ramaze.net/features:orms

Regards,

Bill
80a09b04fe15c6aff61349ca60d522e4?d=identicon&s=25 Mark Van De Vyver (mvyver)
On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 7:31 AM, Bill Kelly <billk@cts.com> wrote:

>  From: "Trans" <transfire@gmail.com>
>

>  > It seems everyone is pretty well satisfied to turn to alternatives. I
>  > guess shouldn't bother to continue work on Nitro or Og, then?

I have moved on to Sequel, and some devs on DataMapper had indicated
they have an Og 'style' in mind for somethings.
However I haven't delved into the DM source.

Cheers
Mark
86e33dee4a89a8879a26487051c216a8?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Fellinger (Guest)
On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 6:31 AM, Bill Kelly <billk@cts.com> wrote:
>  ORM's shows an example using Og, but that they "suggest Sequel."
>

>  http://ramaze.net/features:orms

Yeah, we have to suggest an alternative since Og, combined with the
old facets has quite a few problems and bugs.
I would love to use Og (especially for its awesome evolution
capabilities), but there just hasn't been a stable release since a
long time, so i settled for sequel.

^ manveru
66f5d5b64b951b3eeb8b6c34fcb69237?d=identicon&s=25 postmodern modulus III (Guest)
Mark V wrote:
> I have moved on to Sequel, and some devs on DataMapper had indicated
>>  ORM's shows an example using Og, but that they "suggest Sequel."
>>
> Nitro-general@rubyforge.org

I recently moved one of my projects from Og to DataMapper. While
DataMapper is definitely Og-like, it doesn't quite feel as dynamic as
Og. I also miss the schema-evolution of Og.
On Apr 23, 7:51 pm, "Michael Fellinger" <m.fellin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >  ORM's shows an example using Og, but that they "suggest Sequel."
>
> >  http://ramaze.net/features:orms
>
> Yeah, we have to suggest an alternative since Og, combined with the
> old facets has quite a few problems and bugs.
> I would love to use Og (especially for its awesome evolution
> capabilities), but there just hasn't been a stable release since a
> long time, so i settled for sequel.
>
> ^ manveru

I wouldn't take much to get Og up to date. I have been working on it
bit by bit. But I just can't do it alone. I need someone more familiar
with Og to help. Unfortunately no one has really stepped forward. It's
really a shame, IMHO. It's a good system, it just needs some TLC.

T.
7a4e995e378ef66de0ceaea5e1381ee1?d=identicon&s=25 George Moschovitis (Guest)
Well, I DO depend on Og for my current projects so I AM interested  in
helping. I just don't like introducing too many incompatibilities.
Still, I can help you. What exactly do you need?

-g.
080f6d490269922ec6203f14d0e0b541?d=identicon&s=25 Lars Olsson (Guest)
Hi list,

I still depend heavily on Og even though I too has switched over to
Ramaze. I've was kind of hoping that Ogden would become my Og
"replacement", but that project seems even more inactive than Nitro
itself (I'm not tracking the rcs, so I actually don't know whether this
is true or not). How far of is Ogden from releasing a gem?

Anyway, I think it would be a shame if Og/Ogden disappeared. I've tried
  Sequel and some other ORM:s, but they all seem very "unnatural" to use
compared to Og. I would be very happy if someone picked up the project
and made a new release.

Just my 0.02SEK

/lasso

Bill Kelly skrev:
818368a59c6201cb1bf1dbe3235d6310?d=identicon&s=25 Jason Southwell (Guest)
> Anyway, I think it would be a shame if Og/Ogden disappeared. I've tried

I too see myself making use of Og over other options if it remains
available.  I haven't yet found another option as functional yet simple
that works on all platforms I need.
45196398e9685000d195ec626d477f0e?d=identicon&s=25 Trans (Guest)
On Apr 24, 12:28 pm, "George Moschovitis"
<george.moschovi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, I DO depend on Og for my current projects so I AM interested  in
> helping. I just don't like introducing too many incompatibilities.
> Still, I can help you. What exactly do you need?

Ok. I need to fix the uses of Paramix (that was rewritten in the
latest version of Facets) plus any other minor adjustments to bring it
up to speed with Facets 2.4.x. But then I need some help in tracking
down the cause of the remaining test failures -- I'm having a hard
time isolating them.

The only incompatibility I'm interested in at this point is making
enchantment explicit. But at this point, that can wait for a version
or two.

I'm using the Ogden repo, of course, to isolate from your old working
code. It's currently SVN, but I was thinking of getting it converted
to Git (which is much more like Darcs). Would you appreciate that?

T.
7a4e995e378ef66de0ceaea5e1381ee1?d=identicon&s=25 George Moschovitis (Guest)
> The only incompatibility I'm interested in at this point is making
> enchantment explicit. But at this point, that can wait for a version
> or two.

I no longer have problems with this. you can go ahead and do it.
btw, I will push some more changes to my repo when I return to Greece
(I am in Cyprus at the moment)

-g.

http://gmosx.me.gr
http://joy.gr